Band picks for current conditions

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3JIN, Nov 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just curious. I've been reading a lot about the solar minimum, and how the only real way to beat it is by having directional antennas and - sigh - adding power. Incidentally, did some tuning around to find the turkeyday net and didn't hear a single peep above 20 meters.

Safe to say a lot of low power ops go into lower bands, yeah?

2. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

It's true that 80/40/30/20m are the main bands for QRPers during the low part of the solar cycle but don't overlook other QRP-friendly propagation modes that are independent of sunspot numbers.

Eg tropospheric ducting on 2m/70cm and sporadic E on 6 & 10m.

And then of course there's satellites.

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep the videos coming Peter! I enjoy watching them all the time. :)

To answer the op's question, 20m is pretty much my main "go to" band during the QRP day.

KC3JIN likes this.
  4. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Peter,
    Thank you for your wisdom and the many cool ideas on your page! I wish / will have to find out if the same enthusiasm for VHF SSB exists here in KC3 land. Portable HF QRP looks like a ton of fun too. Oh, where to go next!

5. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On my weekly QRP outings in the park I check 40m just after 9am as soon as my antenna is setup. Typically I hear plenty of nets going strong and I make a couple calls on an open freq and look for stations calling CQ. I jump up to 20m around 10am and also check to see how some of the normal nets are coming in and make calls and look for CQs. I'm using a FT 817ND and SSB.

I'll also try to move off a band if one of the other QRP guys brings a single band rig, so that might keep me on 40m longer, or make me move up to 17m before 10:30am. When it's open, I've worked European stations on 17m with my 5 watts but that's usually not the propagation I see before noon which is when we break down the QRP outing and leave the park to go eat lunch. My QRP contacts are usually North America, Central America, and Caribbean stations if I'm able to make any during the 2-3 hours.