ad: vanity

Band opening email alerts

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K6BBC, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K6BBC

K6BBC Senior Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have subscribed to dxmaps.com for the past couple of years and this service is very good about notifying openings on 6.

Are there any other alert systems that should be checked out?

bbc

2. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

None that I am aware of but DXMaps does a great job.

3. N2AU

N2AU Ham Member QRZ Page

BBC

Check out on4kst.com, a great vhf chat room and site. If there is a 6 meter opening, it usually is posted there. Both stateside and DX openings.

Art-N2AU

4. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful to not become dependent on the spotting networks or email alerts. Doing so WILL cause you to miss opennings and stations to work. Many workable opening and Q's can be made over paths that never show up on any of them. Ditto for sites like DXInfo and ON4KST. My longest haul 144, 222, and 432 Qs last summer were to the gulf coast of LA from WI when the Mountainlake APRS map did not show anything particularly interesting going on at all. Neither did the Hepburn tropo prediction map predict it either. I played my hunches that morning based on the large, rather stagnant high pressure system being in place. I think more people could had have made more Qs that morning if so many weren't sitting around waiting for the web based operating aids to tell them when to get on.

5. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. When I had 6 and 2 capability I'd usually turn on the radio, wait about 5 minutes to see if stuff was in use, then drop my call onto the call frequency usually. There were quite a few times I'd make a contact.

Need to work on getting those back up :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.