Band conditions better past few days?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4RAV, Oct 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Don’t sweat the small stuff, Dave. Characters like this and their constant need for attention are small stuff. You don’t need to justify yourself to them.

N6QIC, W7UUU and WG7X like this.
  2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd presume that the Alaskan needs the folks in the pileup to the North of me more. And getting into the pile means you might miss something you need that pops up unexpectedly. Being the first one to pounce on a new one while everyone is concentrating on a pileup can be a very effective way of working DX.

3. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I work DX all the time - 168 confirmed entities since I returned to the hobby in Feb of this year. How about you? Do you get on the air? I see you're a CW aficionado but you dont show up on any spotting networks...

Here's my spots:

http://www.reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=0&t=dx&c=WF4W

wf4w spots.jpg

Here's your spots:

http://www.reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=0&t=dx&c=N4GKS

n4gks.JPG

Im not trying to be a d*ck - I really dont care how or when other people operate --- but you're not being very nice on the forums and wave your "On the air since 1981 and 20 WPM Extra." around like it's some incredible feat. I did the same thing 8 years later than you.... when i was 13.

Our hobby is a fun, inclusive and has a rich history - but we're getting beat out by better technology. Treating others like you do is NOT the way to entice others to pick up the mic or paddles. Just try being nice. It's better for your health.

N6QIC, WU8Y, W4RAV and 3 others like this.
  4. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just put him onto ignore.

5. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

You're absolutely correct. But it's sad that people want others to solve their problems instead of doing trial/error and explore. It's like cheating on a test. You don't learn anything that way. Guess I'm fighting a losing battle to try and get people to use their minds. Yes, being nice is best.

6. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yep, just be nice :)

I am a manager of people and I get asked lots of dumb questions that I never answer - I allude to the answer . I tell people I manage by 'nudging' - i gently nudge my people in the directon of the answer. If they get off track, I nudge them again...

7. KI4RHR

KI4RHR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 'ignore' function is an awesome way to make this forum more enjoyable. I just wish there was one on my rig for on-air use. :p

8. NH6MA

NH6MA Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about you guys but with this change in band conditions I'm having fun on 20m.
    Seems like I've been getting reports that I'm the only one on the air and I've been able to work across the continent as conditions change.
    The other day I started off with North Carolina and ended up in 6 land as the band floated off into the ether.
    18 contacts in a little over 2 hours is great for me! I also had a longish qso with a local and managed to get Japan in there too.
    Yesterday I logged 28 in 3 hours which is about my best day so far. Mostly 6 land but I did manage Louisiana and my last contact was Reunion Island which is freakin amazing for me!
    So yeah, I'd say the band has been better.

KM4SII and W4RAV like this.
  9. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

How would you propose the OP get their answer through trial/error and exploration?

Let's review the post:
    >>> I haven't monitored in a while, but seems to me I'm hearing more than usual the last 24 hours or so I've been on full-time. Or have I just been missing all the fun? :) I have such a simple wire up, anyone with a real antenna must be working DXCC every day. Heard 42 countries in the last 16 hours or so. Digital-modes makes it easier (but it isn't always easy!). <<<

There is one, and only one, question in there:
    >>> have I just been missing all the fun?

This was not a question about how propagation works. This was not a question about what tomorrow's propagation would be. In fact, this might not have been a question about propagation AT ALL, it is open enough to be checking to see if there's some unusual operating activity, or some rules changed, or any number of other things that could increase the number of stations on the air one day/week to the next.

It was about the activity of the recent past, before the last 24 hours, and was asked in the context of the OP having not been on as often in the past, and thus him not having a solid frame of activity reference.

I generally agree with the stance of "teach a man to fish..." and all that. Nothing wrong with that. How would you advise this OP to go find the answer, on their own, to the question at hand - to get a valid comparison for on-the-air activity, as he hears it from his location, and how it compares to activity in the recent past?

(and note that I don't think this is an impossible question; but nor do I think it is easy to answer. Based on what I do know, I'd struggle with it, to the point where I'd simply post here and be happy with whatever anecdotal evidence was provided. I'm genuinely curious.)

WU8Y, WD4IGX and W4RAV like this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

People ask and talk about a lot of questions online that they could google up the answers to much quicker. You're missing the point if that bothers you. The point isn't really finding the answer, it's connecting with the people you talk about it with.

N2UHC, W5BIB, N6QIC and 2 others like this.