ad: chuckmartin

Band conditions better past few days?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4RAV, Oct 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't monitored in a while, but seems to me I'm hearing more than usual the last 24 hours or so I've been on full-time. Or have I just been missing all the fun? :) I have such a simple wire up, anyone with a real antenna must be working DXCC every day. Heard 42 countries in the last 16 hours or so. Digital-modes makes it easier (but it isn't always easy!).

Attached Files:

2. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

bands have been pretty good - i returned to hobby in febriary this year and have not heard 15/20 this active in all those months. . . especially 15m

W4RAV likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the heads-up. I need to set up my 24/7 receiver again to see if it can snag some more DX. I disconnected it for storms and small-time dictator weapons tests, and left it disconnected while the bands were poor.

W4RAV likes this.
  4. W6RZ

W6RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

We're moving from summertime conditions into fall conditions. Daytime D-layer absorption is less and daytime MUF's are higher. 20 meters becomes a daytime band instead of a mostly nighttime band.

This is exactly why the major DX contests are scheduled in October and November.

The technical term for this is the "winter anomaly". Here's a good article that explains it.

http://www.ham-radio.com/n6ca/50MHz/K6MIO_50MHz_F2Prop.pdf

NS8N, WA7PRC, W4RAV and 1 other person like this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not that I've noticed. If anything they are worse today 10/10 than they have been. Solar flux is 71 and SN is 0. Quite a bit of FT8 activity on 20 and 40, but not a lot else...

6. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear Lord, will these questions ever stop? Please give newbies (Extra Lites) the answers to propagation and sun spot cycle test questions that they missed and had all the answers for. Amen.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  7. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

oh stop - for f's sake Casey, grow up. Someone was simply making note of improved band conditions - myself included - and you pretend as if they asked what sunspots are and what an ionosphere is. Stop perpetuating the grumpy old man stereotype....

N6QIC, N2ADV, KW4GT and 9 others like this.
  8. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Didn't seem great last night for NAQCC Sprint. 40m started off great but seemed to fade. While 80m seemed rather noisy.

Better than nothing though.

9. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

You seem to constantly prop yourself up.

What needs compensating?

N2SUB, N6QIC, N2ADV and 2 others like this.
  10. KQ4MM

KQ4MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here, noise level was high and the QRN from local storms was bad as well on 40M, QSB was long and deep. Gave up after losing 2 CW QSOs due to the QSB. Don't have 80M capability so can't comment there.