Balun Vs Choke

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by M7LRB, Apr 16, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gotta say "same here." :)

WA9SVD likes this.
  2. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't want this reply to start a debate away from the original post.
    But yes, I to put my dual band dipole up many years ago with NO end insulators but just selected rope that is still up.
    You don't necessarily need specific insulators on the ends of a dipole.
    The rope is non conductive as is.
    Weather has vey little effect that would not be present with insulators as well.
    My antenna works so well that never wanted to change anything with the results I get working SSB 75m and 40m dx over half the world.
    If there is disagreement about using end insulators; your entitled to disagree but do it silently.
    Good luck.

3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with some previous posters . . .

People have become obsessed with the need for a Balun (or choke) on a Dipole antenna! Try just connecting the coax directly to the two wires.

I had a chat a few years ago with one of the recognised Gurus on Balun Designs, G3TXQ . . . he agreed that 90% of the time there would be no advantage using any kind of balun on a resonant HF Dipole . . . only if you happened to have an unfortunate length of coax might you get a lot of Common Mode current on the outer . . . and even then the effect on the radiation pattern of the antenna would be minimal !

(most dipole antennas in typical domestic setups are more affected by things like nearby trees or buildings)

And regarding insulators on the end of the wires, again, I haven't used any for decades ! I just knot the wire to the thin polypropylene cord on the ends, and it's fine, even running high power. (but best to use polypropylene, as it doesn't absorb water, unlike nylon or other ropes)

Roger G3YRO

4. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what baluns are for, and analyzers are game for task.
    You can easily get a Analyzer up to snuff @ a Meer value of 9:1 maybe even more to have a look see, if that's all you got an some time...

RRK

5. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not alone.

RRK