Balanced tuners

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by EI6GXB, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. EI6GXB

EI6GXB Ham Member QRZ Page

The RF was (in my case), the feedline coupling into the external speaker wiring (<2" away!! my bad!!).

Doubt I'll have any RF in the shack from radiation of the antenna, as the plasterboard in the attic is foil-lined! wonder what that'll do for radiation patterns lol

L

2. EI6GXB

Found some PVC-foam stuff used for replacing balsa wood in models to make the spacers out of - at least it doesn't break when I try to cut notches in it!

Even if it's not phenomenally successful, it's the experimentation that counts lol.

Those who have built this tuner - what lead layout works best? Input and output at opposite ends of the board....etc

L

3. CT2JUT

CT2JUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Beautiful tuner!

Maybe i stared about 5 minutes looking at the picture.

I think it belongs to...

Check here: http://www.n4ekv.com/tuners.asp

What a really nice job! :)

73 from Lisbon!

Miguel

4. EI6GXB

OK, ropey looking, but it's made me a ZS contact so far!!
    I need to cut the base to size and protect the shaft and tidy a little. Even at 100W though, not a tingle from it. There was before I rebuilt it, but the second time I rotozipped the insulation off the copper, and evidently have made a vastly superior connection over jsut scratching it 'off' with a knife. Going on the formula (haven't managed to usurp college's inductance meter!!), handwound coils for ~ 25mH, and the capacitor is a dual-gang Mullard (280pF) from http://cgi.ebay.com/AIR-SPACED-VARI...ryZ96966QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    I have yet to switch the gangs, so as to give more capacitance (parallel) and less (series), and switch the whole unit itself to input/output, but that will change
    Right now it will tune a 20m dipole to 40m, 30, 18 and 15 all at 1:1.

L

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  5. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

You know, of course, that you really do not have a balanced tuner? At least not by what is in the picture.

The idea you can move the balun to the INPUT of a floating network and have a "balanced tuner" is popular, but it is wrong.

Read this link:

http://www.w8ji.com/tuner_baluns.htm

The tuner in you picture appears to have a single capacitor and two inductors fed from a balun at the input. It is electrically impossible to have a good balanced tuner with that setup. It would be no different at all than just using a normal network with a balun on the output.

73 Tom

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is why I love my Johnson Matchbox. Now, if someone could make an adjustable link with toroids to make it more compact, we'd really have something. Something like a toroidal tickler coil. I wonder what the topology would be?

:)

eric

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be TTTT....Toroidal Tickler Topology Technology

8. EI6GXB

Many have used the W2DU balun with great mirth.
    All I did was follow what was set out in the balanced balanced tuner how-to.

It works. ZS6CCY 4-9. 40, 20, 17 and 15 1:1. No RF in the shack.

L

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  9. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I certainly did not mean to imply your antenna would not "work".

I'm merely pointing out that the only way to build a balanced tuner is to actually build a balanced tuner.

If you have a network that is not a symmetrical balanced network with a ground reference at midpoint, and you move a balun from the output to the input, you don't do a thing for common mode currents. It doesn't do a thing to improve the effectiveness of the balun.

You can easily see why that happens at this link:
    http://www.w8ji.com/tuner_baluns.htm

This doesn't mean you won't be happy with a less than perfect tuner, or that you have a bad tuner, or that I am picking on your work. It just means we could all do a better job understanding the problem.

Your circuit may be a correct circuit because there are some that work, but most of them are not correct.

73 tom

10. EI6GXB

Hmm. Either way, eventually I'll build a single coil Z-match, link coupled tuner, but to find another suitable variable cap :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.