ad: chuckmartin

Baking Oven

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, Sep 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Years ago, for the short time we were reconditioning tube type Motorola mobiles (for about 6-months then no more), we actually used a "steam" cleaner to clean the units. Then, they were baked for, usually, 48-hours in a specially designed oven that actually had baffles inside to get the hot air rotating inside the oven. If I remember correctly, we set the air temperature around 170-degrees F. The oven was about 8-feet long, 3-feet wide, and 4-feet deep.

We actually built the oven using surplus parts from household ovens (including thermostat) and a blower from an old furnace. It took some "doing" to get the air flow just right. After that, the oven worked fine and got all of the moisture out of the tube type equipment.

Glen, K9STH

W1TRY likes this.
  2. K9GAS

K9GAS Ham Member QRZ Page

How about using the more modern convection ovens. They circulate very nice and vented with a built in fan(s). There are toaster ovens that are true convection with fans for circulation of the heat. They've been around long enough now, used ones could be had pretty cheap
    There's usually instructions with convection ovens to use them as dehydrators for fruits, jerky etc....

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

You just gave me an idea. I have a food dehydrator that I bought several years ago to dry garden tomatoes and very rarely use. It might hold the PTO, but it's full of plastic and I wouldn't trust it to bake a heavy transformer even if it would fit into the space. Don't remember if it has a thermostat and temperature control, but if not, a Variac should work.

WA3VJB likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless your dehydrator is good for making beef jerky it may not even have a heating element.

Some of the ones made to do fruits and vegetables only have a fan.

5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Some food dehydrators not only have a heating element, but they also have a fairly accurate thermostat that holds a tight temperature range. Those of us who have or encounter old recording tape are using such ovens to "bake" tapes and temporarily restore the ability to play them off to some other storage media.

Recording tape of a certain vintage suffered deterioration between the recording surface and the binder that held it to the backing. The result is "tape shed," which causes a high-pitched squeal as the tape chatters across the heads. The oven drives out moisture that helps cause this failure, allows the surface to play properly, allowing a user to retrieve the material. The tape is then discarded.

As for cooking transformers, when I was in college I took a power transformer from my Collins 32V2 to the lab used in my chemistry class. A teaching assistant kindly allowed me to put the transformer in an oven they used for experiments, so I could de-pot the core from the outer housing and get it re-wound.

4o years later, that experiment remains a success !

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019