ad: Radclub22-1

Bad news from Laos

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by XZ2A, Sep 25, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Simon, that is good news about top-band. I expect the 24m height will pay off considerably! You are lucky to have the office's support. Keep up the fine work you're doing. I enjoyed your QRZ pages.

BTW, memory tricked me when I said "work you on CW again". I've XW0 contacts from 2001 and 2002, but not with XW0LP. Fifty years ago XW8BP was a regular fixture on HF CW.

2. K5ABB

K5ABB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear of your woes Simon... At least you're better off than Myanmar (what an understatement that is), and still have a good selection of bands available. Still awaiting my operators license here in HS0 land. The NBTC has had my package with RAST endorsement and proxy since July, and I check the box for an envelope from Bangkok everyday, but you know SEAsia, you can't push a rope. I've built a pretty spiffy 40-30-20 mag loop while I wait for the plodding govt. types to finish their plodding, and got it pointed straight up your way from my north balcony 555. I've got a registered transceiver sourced, and the seller can handle the station license, but nobody will do anything without the correct papers and stamps. I will try to be a little more grateful that at least I don't have the boys in brown kicking down my door today. So by comparison, maybe my enforced waiting ain't so bad.

Salutes to your pioneering spirit... and ham on!

Gordo

3. XZ2A

XZ2A Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Gordo - my plan is to return to Myanmar when it's 'safe' to do so. The challenge is to get the radio licencing office in Naypyitaw to issue an operating permit (not a ham licence - those were banned in 1964), for longer than 150 days. The permit is basically to test a transmitter. The difficulty for longer-term operation is one reason why I left Myanmar, (the primary reason was that I wanted to teach online, and the international internet sucks in Myanmar...).

My new top band vertical is working and signals received on west coast NA. Alas - I can't receive anything! The local noise floor is too high, and use of receive loops on ground, loops in the air, pennant ax etc etc give no improvement..

I did put my name down for a Starlink satellite internet unit from Mr Musk - that service should be available in Laos by the end of this year - at which time I can relocate to some remote Lao location with minimal local RFI. (I need fast internet service for my online teaching).

W7UUU likes this.
  4. K5ABB

K5ABB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I seem to remember (I think) that you were able to get a permit to test on one band, and chose 15M because the Burmese govt. boys didn't have a radio capable of going lower than that as to be able to monitor you, 555... It does make the byzantine Thai system seem at least... un-menacing by comparison to your last two locations. Is the starling system a 2-way satellite system? How would the Myanmar boys in green feel about that?

Good luck

Gordo

5. XZ2A

XZ2A Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, Starlink is a low-earth-orbit (so low latency), internet connection system that needs thousands of mini-satellites to provide coverage (since the LEO birds do not appear stationary in the sky). I would hope to visit but not to reside in Myanmar some time in the future. Anyway, even satellite telephones are banned in Myanmar, so I'll leave my Starlink dish at home!

KI4ZUQ likes this.