ad: wmr-1

Bad news from Laos

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by XZ2A, Sep 25, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Until the people overwhelmingly vote in favor of statehood it ain't gonna happen. So far that hasn't happened in the many referendums.
    Arecibo Observatory is in private hands. PR Govt has little or nothing to do with it. We'd like to see it rebuilt too!

K0UO and W7UUU like this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Aw... c'mon on dudes... leave Arecibo like it is. We've been havin'-a-blast :D:p

[​IMG]

W4HMB and KU4X like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good morning Simon! I just got you in the log on 80m FT8 and read your story on your bio page so I found this. WOW! This is just crazy. I will definitely send for a paper QSL (I do LoTW as well - will be uploading later this morning)

So sorry to hear of this - most unfortunate :(

Thanks again for the contact - my first Laos

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2021-9-27_7-38-31.png

N7ZV likes this.
  4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

My personal opinion is that things will never go well in Ukraine until the last one born in the USSR dies. Fascists, Nazis and other monsters did not do the world as much harm as the communists and their followers.

I wish our colleague from Laos to be careful. You can't beat persistent idiots.

P.S. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a single sport on the http://www.reversebeacon.net/, so I don't even know where and when to listen.

PU2OZT likes this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like another country that'll be hard to get just like Afghanistan going forward

6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's right: they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

7. XZ2A

XZ2A Ham Member QRZ Page

@US7IGN - I probably won't be spotted (much) because I am concentrating mostly on 80m until the end of this month, when I have to cease 80 and 30m. I had quite a few QSOs yesterday with NA stations from west to east coast!

@K0UO, luckily, this restriction only affects shared use bands, (which is rather annoying especially for 80m and 6m...). But I'm still all fine for all the other HF bands.

After the end of this month (in a couple of days), I will modify my 80m quarter wave vertical for a vertical on top band - I'm tying my long ladder to the supporting tree this afternoon, so I can push up the vertical as high as possible :)

N7ZV, KI4ZUQ and K0UO like this.
  8. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Please advise when and on what band you will be!

K0UO likes this.
  9. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

I completely agree with a cautious mindset. Once I operated in an Asian nation where communication with certain other nations was strongly prohibited, and that kept me on my toes. To make matters worse I was there during martial law. Having carbines pointed in my direction after curfew was more exciting than working an ATNO! Yes, foreigners can stick out like the proverbial "sore thumb".

Best wishes, and hope to work you on CW again soon.

K0UO and KP4SX like this.
  10. XZ2A

XZ2A Ham Member QRZ Page

@NM7G, thanks for your comments. It's the 3rd of October now, so my permission to operate on 80 and 30m has expired. I have already extended and raised my 80m quarter wave vertical to achieve about 24 metres in height, plus a centre-loading coil, cleaning-up of some weathered connector joints and I'm now back on top band! My ability to stay long-term in Laos of course depends on not making enemies with the police or military! I'm very lucky that the radio licencing office in the capital city are very supportive of my hobby :)

W5BIB, PU2OZT and US7IGN like this.