Bad advice

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0NC, May 1, 2021 at 3:48 PM.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, hasn’t been for several years now.

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Let’s not, and say we did...

K0UO and W7UUU like this.
  3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good advice.....
    upload_2021-5-2_7-46-21.png

Last edited: May 2, 2021 at 1:04 PM
    W3SY, N2UHC and K0UO like this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Rob, you'd be surprised what the average young teenager is exposed to as compared to what it was 50-60 years ago.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It really is not bad advice.

It is good advice for learning how Not to act while operating your station.

6. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Airplane II

N2UHC and W2TXB like this.
  7. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, much of the "advice" rendered online is, at best, of dubious quality. To see this in action every day, check out some of the RV "groups" on Faecesbook... the electrical discussions are comedy gold, making frequency "recommendations" appear sane by comparison. :eek:

8. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Surely you must have a drinking problem.
    Yes, I have a drinking problem. And don't call me Shirely!

N2UHC likes this.
  9. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Believe me I've tried, but not having much luck convincing new hams or for that matter older hams to give morse a try. One of my good friends was working on the code up until they did away with the requirement, then, he quit the code, got his general and eventually his extra and spends most of his time on 75 meters. I feel like the lone ranger here in my club. Most of the OTs that knew morse are inactive now and dying off. I think it is the instant gratification syndrome that has becone common these days. I try to do a little CW everyday, but not much compnay here locally.

73, Chuck
    N0NC

W3SY and K7WFM like this.
  10. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Its not that sort of thing that I would worry about, but rather the you kids get off my lawn types. It only takes one person like that to totally destroy someones passion for a hobby. Hence why i would not encourage them to rag chew with any of us, but rather with their peers. Encourage them to enjoy aspects of radio where people do not care who they are, dx, pota/sota/wwff/iota, contests etc. These are pretty benign and welcoming sorts of things, rag chewers not so much at times. I have seen adults walk away from the hobby after one interaction with some butthurt who thinks they are gods gift to ham radio, if they cant deal with it, hows a kid with little to no resilience going to.