ad: hrd-2

Bad advice

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0NC, May 1, 2021 at 3:48 PM.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just heard one rather new ham tell an even newer ham that a good frequency to go to if you were struggling to make a contact was 7200khz on 40 meters. He said it was listed as a national calling frequency. Who in the world is giving out that advice. Thats the last frequency I'd recommend to a new ham. Several of the older hams jumped into the conversation and advised against going there and explained why.
    73, Chuck
    N0NC

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

And yet, you see people on this forum advising against new hams having an Elmer. (Or whatever term you want to use for a mentor.)

WD4ELG and K8PG like this.
  3. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

That actually would be a good practical joke, flood 7.200 MHz with nOObs :D

N4CKC, W3SY, N1VAU and 3 others like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it is the National Tune-up Frequency.

KD2ACO, K8PG and KA4DPO like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

7.200 most of the morning and daytime is just fine. Lots of good QSOs happen during the daylight hours. It's only when the bottles open and the drunks hit the airwaves that 7.200 goes haywire as the sun sinks lower.

It's just a frequency afterall, the same as all other frequencies. It's the alcohol-infused abusers that come on late in the day and drink and rant all night that make it the cesspit it is in the evenings

But I'd personally never advise using 7.200 unless you already know it's patterns of abuse and the drunks that make it be that way.

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2CZU, N4BC, K1LKP and 5 others like this.
  6. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly. There are no bad freq's but there are plenty of people with mental illness and addiction. If there are 750,000 hams and 10% are impaired.... do the math.

Excellent advice!

N0TZU, WA9SVD and KA4DPO like this.
  7. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was tuning around 40m SSB one evening 3 or 4 years ago when I heard a guy on 7.175.00 calling a South African station. Just a couple minutes before I'd heard the same ZS station several KHz down the band working a pile-up of stations. So I thought I'd help the guy on 7.175 and politely told him the ZS he was calling was down the band and not likely listening on 7.175. The fellow became somewhat hostile and told me 7.175 was the 40m calling frequency and he'd continue calling the ZS. My response to him: in many years on the air I'd never heard anyone call 7.175 a calling frequency. In the meantime, I looked on QRZ.com and saw this guy had a general class ticket which meant that when on 7.175, part of his signal was out of his band. He was not too pleased to hear that either. I just signed off and left the frequency. I tried. I see it over and over in many aspects of life: No good deed goes unpunished. 73, N4KZ

W0FS, K0UO and WN1MB like this.
  8. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve had lots of good conversations on 7.200, even with some of the known rabble rousers, like Captain Dave. I understand telling people to avoid it, but that doesn’t solve anything. People are capable of checking out of conversations that go South and spinning the dial.

9. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Would you encourage a young ham (14 years old) to make his first HF contact there?
    73, Chuck
    N0NC

W0FS, K0UO and WN1MB like this.
  10. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Depends on the time of day. Probably not after his bedtime. :D

The internet is a much more dangerous place.

KK9W and KU4X like this.