Backup Omnidirectional Antenna

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K4BAD, Oct 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone: I installed a discone (Comet DS-150 S)) antenna as a backup to my Elk.
    It covers 50 144 430 800 and 1200 MHz.
    My expectations for this antenna are not high....Elk will probably out perform the discone 90% of the time.However I did work Panama and W.Va on AO-91 this afternoon.
    A small chance to make 1200 MHz contacts when I get the new ICOM 9700(probably next month).
    Fall has reached S.E. Alabama and the temperature is down to a brisk 97 degrees.

73 K4BAD Harry

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be curious to see how this works out for you. I have the IC-9700 and have been considering something similar.

FYI, I've been using the IC-9700 with my Diamond F23H--which is a 2m mono-band antenna--until I get something more permanent. SWR is <2:1 across 70cm, and it is <1.5:1 across 23cm. (I imagine the pattern on 23cm is something crazy looking). Neither are perfect, but both are certainly fit for FM and DV repeater and local simplex work.

I am considering an Elk for satellite work.

3. K4BAD

I’ve been pleased with Elk performance.It’s mounted on a tripod,fixed elevation of 22.5, degrees and using a small TV ant. rotator. Uplink is ICOM-7000.
    I did make aa AO-91 contact with Panama just now.
    As expected ,performance of Elk was much better than discone.Sat. elevation about 48 degrees.
    Good luck with your sat. experimenting. ...73 K4BAD

4. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

HP2VX?

5. K4BAD

Yes....he’s sure on the sats a lot.

K3RLD likes this.