Backpacking 2m 5 element Yagi.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK6USY, Dec 16, 2020.

ad: l-rl
  1. KK6USY

KK6USY Ham Member QRZ Page

This was a fun project I did recently on building a backpacking 2m 5 element Yagi that weighs 21 oz. The longest part is 25" but could be shorter. I used materials I had on hand for the boom so if you had a longer piece of boom material you could make the sections a little shorter. I hope you enjoy the video and I have a part 2 that shows the build with more up close views and materials used.

KC5OMC, W4BAY, KD2PHM and 18 others like this.
  2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video, as a relative newbie I’d have liked to know what measurements were used, spacing and length of elements etc. Will they be in the part 2 you mention above? Thanks for posting and I love the 991A worst thing I did was sell mine. 73

KK6USY likes this.
  3. W6MCH

W6MCH Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video, I too was inspired by K6ARK (Adam) to build a 2meter portable yagi for Sota activations. Would like to get more info on you yagi antenna as well.

KK6USY likes this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was going that route some time ago but after crunching the numbers on what was needed, factoring in shipping and time spent I just bought a diamond. Was cheaper in the end and works very well. I like building but the damn yankee in me drives me to only build when there is a decent cost savings.

W1LEB, W5CJA, KK6USY and 1 other person like this.
  5. K5MPH

K5MPH Ham Member QRZ Page

With out a drill press this antenna would be hard to build.....

KF4ZKU, KK6USY and N1IPU like this.
  6. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a small bench-top drill press for about $129 years ago.. very handy for all projects and gets used very often.

KF4ZKU and KK6USY like this.
  7. KK6USY

Part 2 will be out tonight, but I added dimensions in both videos in the description. And I love my FT991A , people either love or hate it for some reason.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  8. KK6USY

Part 2 will be out tonight, but I added dimensions in both videos in the description.

9. KK6USY

I am the same way on price, but if it's close I try to build it nothing like making a contact with a antenna you build lol.

10. KK6USY

Replace the round tubing with square tube, that will make it a lot easier. The design I found was actually built on a PVC boom.

VE3TLT and KF4ZKU like this.