ad: k1jek

Back to Back Peeks at the New Cycle: Solar Storm Forecast 11-18-2018

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Nov 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Back to Back Peeks at the New Cycle: Solar Storm Forecast 11-18-2018

M0NKL, ZL3NB/SK2024, YC9GYI and 20 others like this.
  2. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

What happened to Stereo B?

M1WML likes this.
  3. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

THANK YOU JIM,
    FOR ANOTHER SOLAR FORECAST POSTING.

HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING

TFO_493_New_one.jpg
    73 - K1LKP
    CARMEN

N4FZ likes this.
  4. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

From Wikipedia:

Loss of contact with STEREO B
    On October 1, 2014, contact was lost with STEREO-B during a planned reset to test the craft's automation, in anticipation of the aforementioned solar "conjunction" period. The team originally thought the spacecraft had begun to spin, decreasing the amount of power that could be generated by the solar panels.[3] NASA used its Deep Space Network, first weekly and later monthly, to try to re-establish communications.[3] After a silence of 22 months, contact was regained at 22:27 UTC on August 21, 2016, when the Deep Space Network established a lock on STEREO-B for 2.4 hours.[4][5][6]

Later analysis of the received telemetry concluded that the spacecraft was in an uncontrolled spin of about three degrees per second; this is too rapid to be immediately corrected using its reaction wheels, which would become oversaturated.[5] Engineers will work to develop software to fix the spacecraft, but once its computer is powered on there will only be about two minutes to upload the fix before STEREO-B enters failure mode again.[7] Further, while the spacecraft was power positive at the time of contact, its orientation will drift and power levels will fall.[5]

As of 11 October 2016, recovery attempts have been reduced until the spacecraft returns to a favorable orbit. Six attempts at communication between September 27 and October 9 failed, and a carrier wave has not been detected since September 23.

N4FZ likes this.
  5. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just grateful it's sending out enough HEAT so the East Coast Big Freeze does not get any worse for those folks !
    The Cycle will take care of itself :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

6. AI1B

AI1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, it hasn't gotten cold here in Maine...Yet!

G3SEA likes this.
  7. KB6DYA

KB6DYA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for your report, you make it fun to listen to, even though I have to admit a lot of this is over my head. With your explanations it is easier to understand. Thank you for your servive,

8. KK6FGM

KK6FGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the explanation. I couldn't find any good videos on youtube explaining this in any detail.