B&W 850a or 852 barker williamson

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KA6NBC, Nov 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KA6NBC

KA6NBC Ham Member QRZ Page

ka6nbc here,
    Hope everyone has a great week.
    I need help
    I am building another Hm amp using b&w 850a but the 3 I have are old broken so I picked up a bow 852
    I need info sheet specks any data available the 852 is all copper tubing no transition to fine 10 gauge
    Ka6nbc@gmail.com
    Any help out there
    Still scrubbing the web
    Thanks team

2. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Since no one has replied I'll jump in on this. The 850A is designed for a plate impedance of 2500-5000 ohms. The 852 is designed for a plate impedance of 1500-3000 ohms. All other ratings are the same.

850A Inductance: 852 Inductance:

13.6uH 7.0uH
    6.5uH 3.72uH
    1.75uH 2.34uH
    1.0uH 1.34uH
    0.8uH 0.95uH

3. KA6NBC

KA6NBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Terrific
    I am wanting to use this 852 with a 3cx3000
    I will need to do more research and see if the plate impedance
    On the 3x3 will work
    Any thoughts
    Thanks again friend
    Respectfully rich

4. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Plate impedance is :
    plate voltage/(plate current x2)

5. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no idea of the specs of your inductor, but replaced a switched inductor out of a Dentron Super Super tuner to a roller (Switch was broken). If you can use it, & can throw it into a USPS priority box. PM me for measurements.

Ed

6. AC8AC

AC8AC Ham Member QRZ Page

would be around 1250 ohms well past legal limit at 5kv 2.5 amps plate .. if you plan on just running a 100 watt rig into a 3cx3000 I would figure on 1 amp on the plate at 5 kv witch will still be past legal limit but no where near as drastic will be around 3125 ohms plate

the 2x plate figures are at class c figures my math was at class b 1.6x . plate voltage/plate current x1.6 usually works out scary close

just remember when you do your pi or pi-l networks figure in the tube and a few pf for stray c ... the 3cx3000 is an easy tube to work around . myself I would just build the tank and get a series 86 switch from multitech even though they say its non shorting they do make a shorting version . then have them put a non shorting section on the front to control relays for the tuned input network . this way tank q is always where you want it for each band

link to rf switches http://www.multi-tech-industries.com/rswitches.html

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

8. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

9. NJ2S

NJ2S Ham Member QRZ Page

what B&W 850a or 852 , should i use on a pair of gs-35b tubes with 4k dc plate volts. i have alot of old barn yard parts in storage and almost retired, i need a project. bill

10. K4LRH

K4LRH Ham Member QRZ Page

Good info here.

Question ... I have a 26uH roller inductor [P/N: 26-VC-2144] from a Gates Xmitter. Is it feasible to use this inductor to build a home-brew linear [160 to 6 Meters] ? If not, please tell me its limitations.

Thanks,
    Jack; K4LRH