B&W 5100B and 51SB-b manuals wanted

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Jul 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

DJVU???
    The BAMA site uses the DJVU format which is not kind to us MAC users.
    Can anyone send me the complete manuals for these apparatus?
    It would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a matching pair that need to be restored. They are complete and deserving
    of being back on the air. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    73 de Billy N6YW

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Manualman.com

N6YW likes this.
  3. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    N6YW likes this.
  4. N6YW

Many Thanks OM!!!
    I hope my request didn't sound terse. It was late and was hoping for some bed time reading.
    The transmitter and SSB adapter I have, had been sitting in a garage for many years.
    It needs a strip down and deep cleaning, and, the cases bead blasted and powder coated.
    I think the face plates can be cleaned and polished back to acceptable condition. Rescreening
    the labeling would be a Scrote Pain.
    The plan is to have this paired up with an NC-303 or RME 4350, something along those lines.
    I think it would make an ideal vintage multi-mode station. Perhaps adding a Thunderbolt
    linear would complete the line up. Your thoughts?

5. N6YW

John
    Also, excellent article on your site. Very informative and the treatment of addressing
    the "Special Resistor" is of special interest. Your contributions are immense.
    73 de Billy N6YW

6. W2WDX

@N6YW I recommend you try to duplicate that nice powder blue on the cabinet when you get them power coated. It kinda makes those radios unique and they are very rare now and need to be preserved. Some guys can match that color since it's common in electronics. On the face plate, a very fine compound like used on a car works great as long as you don't rub hard and remove the silk-screening. Those knobs are a pain, they are cast aluminum and do not respond well to any kind of chemical aluminum cleaner. And don't use ScotchBite on them, since they will turn black in few months. Windex, plain and simple. Even on the chassis and faceplate. Will take off most patina and smoke browning without softening the paint. Take a good look at how the modules come out of the chassis, and be careful removing the connectors. You should use De-Oxit on those connectors since they are a trouble spot. Also, the audio mods I describe will certainly improve the transmitted sound quality. Just be aware it work better if you use good audio processing and limit the audio bandwidth (particularly a high pass filter at 80Hz and higher) since this mod transformer tends to growl at low frequencies, and the 6146 mod tubes don't help.

One last thing, see if you can get your hands on 6293 tubes. They are a pulse rated versions of the 6146 and can last forever in a 6146 based radio. Also they make tuning a bit more forgiving. Make sure you do a careful alignment after fixing this up, once dialed in this radio is very solid; however, if the alignment is not done well, it gets very squirrelly. This radio is bit tweaky when it comes to tuning, especially the multiplier. Follow the manual strictly and you will have no problem.

Good luck with it, it's a sweet transmitter. Don't know what I was thinking when I sold mine. Because of all the mods I did, I got a huge offer and just couldn't walk away from the money I guess.

Honestly, I doubt you will have any problem Bill. These transmitters have their quirks, but overall it's a straight up design with good connectivity to the vital traces.

By the way, spent years as an audio engineer so I have an appreciation for the various trials of being a Mac user. Hihi!!!

N6YW likes this.
  7. N6YW

Curious?
    What are the differences between the 5100 and 5100B

8. W2WDX

Not really sure. Never worked on a 5100, so I never bothered to check. I do know it's a bit less modular.

9. N6YW

Getting ready to begin the restoration... finally

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a 5100B for awhile and it was a PITA to work on. Since I already had a PITA 32V2 the 5100B found a new home.

I sorta fell into a mint factory built Valiant from a CBer up in VT that picked it up in an estate sale but decided he was afraid to even turn it on. It had all original tubes some dust inside, and no Hammy Hambone hacks.

In New England driving distances are small:D

For vintage AM and SSB in one box I use the Central Electronics 100V Ive had since 1965 and that goes into the NCL-2000 prototype Ive had just as long for an easy 1200W desktop amp. Since it is a phasing rig the audio is excellent in both modes with a D-104.

Carl

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    N6YW likes this.