AWA AM QSO party this weekend

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W8ACR, Feb 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W8ACR

W8ACR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

The AWA AM QSO party is this weekend from 2300 UTC Feb 16 to 2300 UTC Feb 17. I will be serving as one of the two flagship stations using the call W2AN from my home qth in ND. I will be on my homebrew transmitter which runs a single 810 modulated by 811A’s on 160, 75, and 40, and HK54’s modulated by 811A’s on 20. My tentative operating schedule is as follows: 7280 kHz from 2300 to 0200, 1945 kHz from 0200 to 0500, and 3870 +/- from 0500 until I run out of steam. On Sunday, I will be on 20 meters at 14330 all day starting at about 1500UTC. Hope to catch you on the air. Should be fun.

73, Ron W8ACR

AB2RA, K4VA and WD4IGX like this.
  2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll try to check it out, but those times are not good. The only night it covers is Saturday and that is normally NOT a night I sit around the house, in the ham shack or otherwise. The event ends before sundown (at my house anyway) on Sunday so that means no 75m on Sunday, most likely. I might be able to get on 40 or 20 in the day on Sunday and some early evening 75 Saturday.

3. K0ARA

K0ARA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ron... I will try to work your station on 75m.
    I have not had the Millen on this season.

Mike

4. K4VA

K4VA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am certainly going to try, but it may be more of a monitoring party for me. I finally got an antenna back up and just set up a Flex 6500, but my new amp won't arrive until next week. The receive is phenomenal on the rig, but I've yet to be heard by anyone.

5. K4VA

Well... by the time I figured out what I was doing wrong (wrong mic input selected), it was too late to edit my post. :oops:

6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's pretty noisy in New York City today. I can hear several carriers coming and going but haven't been able to talk to anyone yet. Still trying on 20m. Will try 40m in a few.

40m good. Lots of interesting transmitters on the air right now.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    K4VA likes this.
  7. K4VA

Bands are fairly noisy in middle TN, as well. I've only managed 3 contacts so far, but am having a blast listening to several home-brew transmitters. I will be listening for you, but haven't heard any NY stations, as of now.

KD2ACO likes this.
  8. KD2ACO

Ok! I had a couple nice QSOs but am off the air for now... lunch n stuff.

WB3FAU was holding down 7.290 with a T3 and fun to chat with.

K8JLY was running a pre war 2 homebuilt at limit and sounding great. His VFO is a Kc or two loosely goosey but hey... nice modulation. :p

And bang... CRI just killed us all.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    K4VA likes this.
  9. K4VA

I've been chasing K8JLY all morning. He's fun to follow, with that crystal sweeping as it warms up when he keys, but my 20w carrier isn't getting back to him.
    I tried to work Al, W1VTP, but he could only pull half my call out of the noise on my best effort. I hard Don, K4KYV last night, but didn't call him as the freq was being used by one of the flagship stations.

KD2ACO likes this.
  10. KD2ACO

I think he has a VFO, no crystal, and the furnace cycling at his house makes him stick somewhere, then scoot up for a while, etc.

Fun while it lasted.

K4VA likes this.