Aviation headset with TYT TH-9800 or similar mobile

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by K9MJM, Mar 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K9MJM

K9MJM Ham Member QRZ Page

So... I bought a 4-door Wrangler a couple of months ago and have since mounted my TH-9800 head over the dash and mounted the radio under the passenger seat. I love driving this thing around without a roof and doors, but listening to the local repeaters is really hard with the wind noise. I've added a Bluetooth transmitter to the aux speaker output on the radio and can now listen over my factory system through the soundbar, but I find myself wanting to transmit as well.

What I'd really like is an aviation-style headset, but with one ear only for safety.

The TH-9800 does not have a built-in VOX circuit. I would use a foot pedal for PTT, but I drive a stick shift, and I think four pedals are too many. Besides, it would be nice for the passenger to be able to talk as well into the same radio. I use this radio not only for ham but also for LRMS, and sometimes the passenger needs to talk.

I think what I need is a VOX circuit like a Rainbowkits VOX-1 and two small mixers, one for mic and the other for audio out.

I might just go with the single circuit and a single headset for now. Does anyone make anything like this stock? With all the Jeepers using CB, I kind of thought this would already exist and I'd just need to adapt it to my radio's mic jack. I wish the TYT DTMF hand mic just had three 3.5mm jacks... maybe I'll go that route. It would be a shame not to be able to use that mic as well - it is nice to be able to change freqs without dials.

Any thoughts?

2. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you mean LMRS, the that radio is not authorized in that service.

As far as PTT, mount a switch on your stick shift.

AC0GT and N0TZU like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Quite true, it sure isn't.

"Don't be caught" using it outside the amateur radio bands.

It's hilarious that it's easy to find "FCC Grants" for that radio, but they have nothing to do with authorizing transmissions in the commercial/personal LMR service. They're all just Part 15 certifications, which must be issued to anything with a scanning receiver in it, and they pertain to the receiver.:)

4. K9MJM

I hadn't realized that. I will not transmit in the LMRS band with it. I double-checked and my MD-2017 is LMRS type-approved... I will be sure to use it in that case in the future.

The PTT switch on the stick is a good idea.

5. K9MJM

6. K9MJM

After additional searching, it seems there are a bunch of shift balls with normally open momentary switches available from various vendors intended for drag racing which could be easily adapted to my needs.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

People using them out of band is one reason they become banned.

That is a nice radio for the price.

Enjoy.

8. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your enthusiasm for an aviation headset may diminish when you start seeing prices. Good ones are north of $500 and IIRC the fancy Bose headset runs over a grand.

Here is the one I wear: https://www.clarityaloft.com/products/the-pro-plus-aviation-headset That set would work very well because the foam ear plugs are very, very, good sound attenuators. You can plug one in and let the other dangle until you really need to hear what's going on on the radio.

There are cheaper options: https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/catalogsearch/result/?q=telex+headset but they will provide little or no attenuation. You can poke around at that vendor and see many other options, too.

Finally, be sure to check impedances. I have never paid attention; I just plug into the airplane and go, but IIRC helos and fixed-wing aircraft headsets are not compatible due to impedance differences. I have no idea about ham radios and aviation headsets.

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the PTT on the gear shift idea!

I know Wranglers are noisy especially the older ones (I had one!), but I would opt for using a single sided, open earphone type headset with a noise cancelling mic like those made for computers for use with Skype and such. That way you can still hear some of the surrounding sounds with that ear. They are aren’t very expensive to replace which is a good thing when getting beat up in the Jeep.

If you already have a disused GA headset, interfacing is not difficult as long as it has an electret type mic. Then all you need is a little box to house the two jacks and convert to whatever plug the radio needs plus any attenuation if needed. Be aware that the mic plug is a smaller diameter (0.206” if I recall) than a standard 1/4 inch plug. Mouser has those jacks as well as Aircraft Spruce, maybe others. If the mic is an older dynamic type then you will need to change the impedance with a transformer and use a DC bias blocking cap.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Using vox in a mobile may not be a good idea unless you are running full duplex.

Many people use butt keying. :oops: