Average Age of CW operators from my log

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by AA4OO, Sep 17, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4FS

W4FS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am 17 yrs old and primarily operate CW. I think one appeal to younger people would be that being young, funds are limited and it's a lot easier and cheaper to build a CW Xcvr than a SSB Xcvr. Otherwise, I can't really figure out why more new ops don't give CW a shot. Being able to try new (to the op) things such as CW is what makes the hobby great. For me the appeal is that all the good DX likes to hang out at the bottom of the band, and I don't want to miss out :)

More info on my QRZ.com bio

K8PG, MI0YLT, 2I0GYL and 3 others like this.
  2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you hit the nail on the head. I got my ticket in '88 and back then you had to a 5 wpm CW test...had two almost full time jobs, kids, house, family obligations...etc etc so the budget was not setup for me to go buy the latest HF rig....a friend gave me a mouse turd encrusted Tempo One, straight key, no mic, and power supply....so I spent 6 months cleaning it all up, replacing a few parts, and finally got it on the air...used it for a year...sold all my ham stuff since I was too busy raising kids and leading Boy Scouts...then in 98 I was done with that stuff and bought a kit...a CW transceiver kit...was amazed at how much CW I still remembered. Put it on the air and it took me about a month to get up to 10-12 wpm...been a CW op ever since. I really enjoy QSOing with teens and 20's and I try to encourage them as much as possible. Join SKCC, FISTS, your local ham club, and make some friends.

MI0YLT and W5BIB like this.
  3. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I received my novice license at 14 and I am now 45. I fell out of ham totally for about 15 years and was surprised to find the cw portions as busy as it was when I stopped.

I would say the average age I experience is in the 60s. It goes up quite a bit if I make contacts during the morning/afternoon hours. I've been active about 4 years now. I have qso ed with hams younger than I am but I could count them with one hand.

MI0YLT likes this.
  4. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

I am 72 and returned to hobby after being interested as a teenager. Last year got from tech to Extra acing each test. I'm good at science and book learning. Bad at language. Trying real hard to learn cw. Progress is slow and it is not easy to find slow code on the air. While I find some very helpful Elmer's from SKCC and Fists, I feel more comfortable in a QSO with another beginner. I think the problem feeds on itself as fewer beginners to talk to make it harder to begin. Still worth learning though even for those of us with no aptitud.

K8PG, MI0YLT, AC8UN and 2 others like this.
  5. W8TJM

W8TJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am 60 years old and just got back on the air after a 40 year break from HF and CW. Yesterday was my first day with CW QSO's and it was a bit tough, but satisfying as well. A big Thank You to the patient operators I worked as the paddle I was using kept adjusting itself. That was the last thing I needed!

MI0YLT and W5BIB like this.
  6. N3VQW

N3VQW Ham Member QRZ Page

.. .- -- - .... . .-. - -.-- ... .. -..- .- -. -.. .--- ..- ... - --. --- - -- -.-- --. . -. . .-. .- .-.. .- -. -.. .. .- -- .-.. . .- .-. -. .. -. --. -.-. .--

--... ...--

-. ...-- ...- --.- .--

7. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

Generally I can work NY on 40m in the evenings. If you want to QSY at a particular time just send me an email (email on my QRZ page) and we can practice CW at any speed your comfortable with.

If we can't establish a QSO I usually find that ops are generally more amenable to slower CW ragchews around 7.050 - 7.055 MHz and also up around 7.118 MHz.

Don't be concerned about asking someone to QSY to a particular speed. I've only had one operator tell me (after he answered my CQ sent at 13wpm) that I was going too slow for him and he QRT.

8. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

You QSY to a different frequency, not speed. If you send slower, or ask someone else to send slower, you use QRS. For sending faster, use QRQ.

9. KE0FWZ

KE0FWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Newly licensed and working on getting my CW proficiency up. I should like to find you on the waves when I get comfortable with sending. I am 28 at this point in time. I don't see it being more than a year for me to tread out into the deep end and stop treading ankle deep waters of only listening.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just worked Tom W6XF on 40m CW last night. He's 85 and blind.

Great fist, nice long ragchew.:)

I'm glad to see many younger folks learning code.