ad: vanity

AV-18HTJR - Hy-Gain

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by NK7Z, Jun 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My old GAP Challenger finally gave up the ghost after 15 years. May it RIP, it was very good to me over that time! For a number of reasons I don't want to replace the Challenger, with another Challenger. Loved the antenna, but it has always had higher than I like SWR issues on 40 Meters.

I am considering the purchase of the 80-10 Meter, Hy-Tower Jr vertical monopole antenna. I am interested in any comments anyone might have on this antenna vs. another decent 80-10 vertical. I will have a decent radial field under whatever vertical monopole I install, so this will be an apples to apples comparison. No less than 32, 1/4 wave radials on 75 Meters.

This is a rather large, difficult to construct and tune antenna, if one believes the eHam reviews of it, which I do. Is the performance of the Hy-Tower-Jr that much better than, say an 18AVQ vertical monopole. Any ideas as to how much better the Hy-Tower Jr be, vs. any other decent vertical monopole.

Is there a better choice for a vertical? My primary interest is DX, not local. No tower, or other support is available to me at this time.

I am not married to the Hy-Tower-Jr, or any brand or model of vertical yet. I want a good performing antenna, and I am looking for suggestions for a really good performing vertical that covers multiple bands...

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

Hy-Tower is still the king of verticals.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd go for the Hy-Tower, also. The "Jr." model isn't the same.

Slick thing about the original Hy-Tower 18HT is it's self-supporting (although it needs a cement slab, usually) and you can pretty easily add extra bands to it.

4. NK7Z

For a number of reasons, the Hy-Tower is not an option at this time for me. We are moving, so whatever I get today, will need to be packed up in 9 months, hence the need for a vertical. Once we get settled, I will be putting up a tower, etc...

5. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought the 18HT-JR several years ago. Installed it with 35 buried radials 40' long except where sidewalks and patio dictated shorter lengths. It took a couple weeks to get all the hardware parts (missing nuts & bolts) from MFJ. Then more weeks to get the correct parts - there were 2 of one wire element and none of another. Then there was an insulator missing - it was on the drawing but not in the assembly instructions. I never did get 75M to works as designed - can't get SWR below 3.1 anywhere on 75 or 80. I can move the dip but never lower than 3.1. Similar problems on 10M but the SWR is lower than 75 but I could never get it near specs. Talked to MFJ and explained my predicament to the HyGain guys at Dayton Hamvention that year but they were no help at all. I suspect there is an error in the manual somewhere but I can't prove it. MFJ redesigned the original HyGain design at some point. I found the original HyGain manual on line and they are different.
    It is an excellent antenna on 40M. Low SWR across the band. 15M & 20M are OK. With a Heathkit SA-2060A tuner I have had good success on 17M. As a result of this fiasco I have near zero confidence in anything MFJ.

6. NK7Z

Thank you so much for that input! Have you been able to compare it to other verticals? Was it better or worse than anything else you have used vertical wise? I am trying to get a feel for how it stacks up against a simpler to built and tune antenna.

7. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

It replaced a HyGain 18AVQ that I had since the late 1960s. I would have repaired it if parts were available. It worked on all HF bands without radials. Considering the problems with the 18HT-JR comparisons are difficult.

8. NK7Z

Thanks... I think I have finally decided on a 40 monopole and to just bag 20 for now... We are moving in about 9 months, and a 40 monopole will be a lot simpler to pick up than the Hy-Tower-Jr.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. NK7Z

That is unguyed, which seems a bit high, given the height...