Autonomous Doppler Radio Direction Finder

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by PA8W, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. PA8W

PA8W Ham Member QRZ Page

In the last six months I designed and built a simple but very effective VHF/UHF pseudo doppler Radio Direction Finder.
    As performance greatly exceeds expectations I decided to put the project on my website including schematic diagram and PCB design.
    http://members.chello.nl/~w.hofman/pa8w/dopplerRDF.htm
    As I said, simple design, cheap and commonly available components, no programming.
    Just C-mos technology and a few Op-amps.

73's

Wil,
    pa8w

2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good job Wil, even though I'm not into T-hunts nor even VHF/UHF FM, I'm always interested in such methods. Your project is well detailed and easily duplicated. Truly outstanding job Wil.
    Have fun and please keep us updated on any further developments.
    Gary

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Wil, what a superb effort! I am interested in RDF, and have toyed with some microprocessor design, but had been looking for one that was analog, like this.

73 Bill

4. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Neat stuff there Will, thanks for the info.

5. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

fantastic! wonderful work.

6. PA8W

PA8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the flowers guys.
    Right now I am extensively testing the doppler direction finder, trying to figure out where any improvements can be made.
    I've designed a 8-antenna array + driver electronics now, but first I want to analize and document the performance of the 4 -antenna array as good as possible to have a good reference for comparison.
    If there's any important breakthrough I will put a post here.

But for any ham who wants to experiment with a simple but very capable doppler RDF the Mark 2 version as published would be a good choice.

Wil, pa8w.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.