ad: elecraft

Automotive Industry migrates to 48V electrical system

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5TXR, Mar 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Nonsense. It is 12 volts nominal. Turn off the engine and you will have 12.6 volts. Leave the lights on a while and it is 11 volts. 6-Pb cells in series is 12 volts nominal for the last 100 years period.

2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "Finally!!! It's about time that someone has pointed out the nonsense of using Hydrogen as a fuel."

I can cite a tech that uses Hydrogen as a fuel; it calls for taking the electron to a _lower_ energy state than is commonly found, and commonly called "the ground state". Using Hydrogen in this way yields about 200x what a comparable mass of liquid fuel (like gasoline) yields ...

3. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm eager to learn. Please explain EXACTLY how this works.

4. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

First off, are you ready to entertain a viewpoint that challenges QM (Quantum Mechanics)?

Not an entire re-write or tear-down, and not quite an extension either, but rather, an examination and subsequent re-setting of some "goal posts" that were hitherto thought "bound" forever in one place only (and for no good solid reason).

5. K8VHL

K8VHL Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The alkali metals including cesium are the most explosive elements.

6. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hydrogen just needs a nice oxidizer and a spark. The hindenburg didn't explode. It burned like a very hot Coleman lamp. I bet survivors were pleased it didn't explode, ha.

If somebody had pumped O2 into the envelope to match the ratio 2:1 H to O and then sparked it most of Lakehurst would have been damaged severely.

However the oxygen from air slowly mixed with the hydrogen on the melting envelope.

I get teary whenever I see the film footage of that incident. Very sad.
    Erika DD

UT7UX and W7UUU like this.
  7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

It burns in the presence of oxygen (you still need the oxidizer) but doesn't really explode. The Hindenburg burned; it didn't explode. Oxyhydrogen was the first fuel used for welding, hardly an application for explosives.

The initial fuel in the Hindenburg fire may have been leaking hydrogen, or possibly the flammable doping compound on its fabric. There is no doubt the hydrogen did feed the fire of course, and that it's not the safest material to handle.

8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Posted while I was writing my post. Great minds... :D

K0DD likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Very well stated, Erika. Stuff I had not ever really thought of.

Dave
    W7UUU

K0DD likes this.
  10. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you guys, I had the pleasure of teaching Math and Science at the HS Level for a bit... Anyway, I have a very neat story from when I was in High School. I had a GREAT near retirement Chemistry Teacher in the early 70's who had been teaching about 30 years already. He performed the same very exciting gaseous chemical reaction in front of the HS' Chemistry Large Groups each year as a welcome to Chemistry demo.

The demonstration was performed standing next to a table mounted glass cylinder several feet high and maybe 1-1/2" or so in diameter... At the top of the cylinder was an automotive spark plug. Through a pair of valves he put Hydrogen and Oxygen into the Cylinder, closed the valves and utilizing a spark wand hand held dealie-em-bop he'd spark the top of that Spark PLUG. VAVOOM a very loud bright flash would shake everything on the table and when and the students all calmed down he explained what happened, and why there was several inches of WATER in the bottom of the glass tube. THEN HE TOLD US OF HIS FAILURE early in his teaching career.

When you add heat to excite the Hydrogen and Oxygen they start combining PLUS release a WHOLE lot of energy. Also why you need to Utilize a LOT of ENERGY back into Water to separate Hydrogen and Oxygen back into individual gases. The substances desire to form a stable bond through electrons moving around.

One year he used a bit larger cylinder and exactly mixed the proper ratio of H2 and O2 into the tube so that when both combined into H2O he'd get a big bang and really impress the students... It exploded the tube in a giant fireball, burned all the hair off his arm, side of his head, and temporarily defended him in one ear... threw glass all over everywhere including the stage and the front row of students... The spark plug was Not FOUND within any reasonable time frame. Maybe low earth orbit was likely? So he decided an exact ratio was probably not prudent and the School Board really needed reassurance that sort of excitement was not about to happen again.

Hydrogen nor Oxygen are not Destroyed or consumed, they combine until there's not enough of one or the other to continue the reaction. In the case of the Hindenburg the low quantity of oxygen in the atmosphere plus the wick of the envelope allowed a reasonable pace of self sustaining conversion until the Hydrogen had all been converted which slowed things down considerably. Fortunately AIR only has 21% Oxygen content.

For those that Gas Weld with Hydrogen and Oxygen, the heat released is in a controlled reaction. As the Atmosphere only has 0.0005 percent helium, another source is required. The USA owned the proprietary process for extracting Helium from Natural Gas in quantities needed for airships and why US Dirigibles while not having the stellar lifting capacity as the Germany utilized a gas that wasn't as easy to make other substances with...

Erika DD

UT7UX likes this.
  11. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Hydrogen ashes cover 75% of the earth surface. We call those ashes water.

12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for that. It really added key points to the topic </sarc>