Automatic IDer - Icom IC-2730

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W5GX, Aug 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-2730 does cross band repeat. However, it does not ID automatically. Using my Baofeng fox as start, I decided to repurpose the design. This was more an excuse to tinker with Arduino and learn some coding, really.

The IDer code will send one of two call signs, depending on jumper setting. Additionally, based on the other jumper, it will send a signal to the radio and switch the main bands so it can send the call sign on both bands.

It's designed for the Arduino Mini so it can use the radio power, like the HM-207. With the Nano or other larger Arduino, vehicle battery is needed. Well, I assumed so - the radio manual says 10mA load max, and the Nano pulls 20+, Uno even more. The Mini was better, less than a mA over the microphone with the PTT active. Removing the resistor for the voltage regulator LED dropped that another 4 mA - well within tolerance. Resistance is so high feeding the status LEDs their overall current draw is pretty small.

The Arduino sketch sends the serial data like the microphone to switch main bands. I used an oscilloscope to capture the command. I think this is similar to their CI-V interface, but that's for another project.

I also played with port manipulation to speed up the code - not that it's necessary, but fun to explore.

The 13 ohm resistor tells the radio this was the HM-207 so it would listen for the band switch command, based on resistance readings from the same pin on the mic.

I didn't do anything fancy with the morse code, just called the tone() as needed for each letter - I figured there won't be many "on the fly" changes. Other codes do arrays and stuff, but that's not needed here. I did play with spacing between morse characters, as the send speed was fast enough I had to adjust for "flow".

Arduino code is attached as a TXT file.

Schematic is drawn up with Eeschema in KiCAD - but the Arduino pin assignments don't match the code. I've got a board designed and ready, but still looking at PCB houses. Future iterations will use DIP switches instead of jumpers.

Rev 2 should incorporate some kind of DTMF decoding for remote control, but I'm thinking of using a separate module for that. Also, not sure the best use-case for such a thing - as if any failure mode would allow the radio to receive any DTMF codes for the Arduino to sniff. Also, I'm not sure a control operator will be that far from the thing. Still, DTMF sounds fun to play with. Maybe...

20210823_141030 - Copy.jpg

20210823_141046 - Copy.jpg IC-2730-Eeschema.PNG

Attached Files:

2. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

You do really neat work! Your code is easy to follow too.

3. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a reason I didn't show the bottom of the board. ;)

Thanks!