"Automatic" confirmation?

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by KG7WOC, Oct 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG7WOC

KG7WOC Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is a contact not automatically "confirmed" if it is present in both sender and receiver's logs ? Since contact was made via FT8, I assume it was logged with a .adi file upload - so both entries should have the correct details for confirmation... Not so in this case for some reason...

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Apparently there is still a discrepancy. Usually its the frequency if one or the other is bandswitching manually.

3. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be that FT8 has already reached its confirmations total allowed for 2021.
    Try again on the 1st of Jan. 2022.

Oliver

PS. seriously, if someone could explain me the need to confirm FT8 contacts, I am unable to get it.

UT7UX likes this.
  4. KG7WOC

Funny ! Not really a "need" by definition... Just chasing paper like everyone else....

5. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Confirmation is automatic when a record of the QSO having required matching files has been entered in both parties logbooks.

You cannot assume the worked party has uploaded an ADI file containing its record if the QSO, regardless whether of FT8 mode or not. The fact is that both parties must have a matching record to indicate a confirmation and lacking same the requirement has not yet been met.

The record can be entered manually by ADI import or by LOTW download. Some other logbook systems may have developed an API (Application Programming Interface) to interface with QRZ's Logbook. https://www.qrz.com/docs/logbook/QRZLogbookAPI.html

6. KG7WOC

I checked the other operator's "Latest Contacts" screen about 10 minutes after the contact was made - and there I was at there I was at the top of the rather lengthy list for the day - so I assumed that this contact was uploaded vice entered manually..... I guess it was some other difference between the log I loaded and the log she loaded; Thanks for the reply.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Really? LOTS of stations (not to call anyone out, but JA comes to mind) will pounce on me right after an FT8 QSO and LOTS OF TIMES send "RR73" as their second transmission, before any other steps have been completed. That takes them immediately to the "Log Contact" box and they click "OK". Next thing I know, I see the QSL request in eQSL.

That's one of the big reasons I prefer the ARRL/LoTW and QRZ systems - BOTH parties must blindly enter correct info to "confirm".

This is not a rare thing. This is almost DAILY that this happens.

I still use eQSL but I'm careful to review before I just blindly confirm a contact.

Dave
    W7UUU

UT7UX likes this.
  8. KP4SX

You have to enter your info in eQSL to create a confirmation.

9. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

So, basically, there is a need to assess a few times (?) recurrently (maybe worths a QSL card, self-mailing address) that a simple automatic Tx/Rx propagation checking mode has done its propagation check job correctly.

Thank you Dave! having no clue (how could I?) I really wasn't expecting radio-amateurs to be so unconfident, nowaday.
    But it's kind of logical, R-A taking an extraordinary risk firing up FT8, that should be duly and spot rewarded.
    Like if FT8 operators were searching for a very rare metal mine, with $ billions to be invested when finding one.

Reminds me of a joke, Dilbert-style, email, letter, Fax, Telex and maybe... RTTY :D to confirm a simple appointment made by phone.

Oliver

10. KP4SX

QSLing dates back to the early days when contacts might have been iffy. "I heard you, did you hear me?" It evolved into a COURTESY shared by many as well as documentation for achieving various operating awards.
    You are not required to participate.