ad: elecraft

Automatic 10 Minute ID'er Kit. Can Work With Any Radio.

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by WB8MF, Aug 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB8MF

WB8MF Ham Member QRZ Page

Automatic ID'er transmits your Callsign in morse code every 10 minutes via the transmitter microphone input for worry free rag chews and general use.

Microprocessor control for consistent operation with user adjustable timing. Circuit board is small enough to fit inside many radios. Passive 6 element low pass audio filter and extra wide dynamic range output possible. The 600Hz tone can be adjusted from a soft but distinct code so you can still talk while ID-ing or crank it up to above normal line level input for a “stand alone” applications.

When the power switch is turned on the ID'er will key the radio and ID right away. The LED then stays lit in 'standby mode' until 10 seconds before the next ID when it begins to blink rapidly. The unit then keys the radio and the LED flashes in coordination with your Callsign being transmitted in morse code. The radio is un-keyed and the LED goes back to 'standby' until the next 10 minute next cycle ends.

Timing control adjustments can only be initiated while the LED is flashing and it takes 3 adjustments to change the time by approximately 1 second per hour. Changes in temperature, or DC voltage effect the frequency of the internal clock so if you need something that meets or exceeds International Atomic Clock Standards for 24 hour operation, this ain't it.

The ID'er can be supplied with any reasonably clean DC power source from 2 to 30 volts with parts included in the basic kit. Without an LED the design can be changed to draw less than 5 mA.

The photo below shows prototype #05 that was built for my IC-706. I have been using it for several weeks now and it has performed perfectly.
    [​IMG]

The next prototype #06 below was modified to take advantage of the ample 5 volt supply of the FT DX-1200 by bypassing the voltage regulator. This slightly larger project box easily had enough room for a standard round 8 pin mic connector, switches and LED. It takes hours to hand assemble a perf board like this but I did this particular unit as a proof to confirm operation for the final printed circuit board design that so the assembly and soldering time is reduced to just a few minutes.
    [​IMG]

I have enough parts for 5 kits on hand if anyone is interested.

All prices include free shipping to United States only via US Postal Service.

Basic Kit includes: CPU programmed with your Callsign, printed circuit board, resistors, capacitors, diodes, variable resistor, and voltage regulator. You provide: on/off switch, momentary switch, connectors, LED, wire, project box and power source. $27.00.

Only CPU programmed with your Callsign. $8.50 (Have 3 available )

For a Custom Built ID'er please contact me.

Send comments and questions to : wb8mf (at, none other than) mikeyned (dot) com. You can also twist the dial to 3850k and give me a shout.

Click this web page link to get all the information and details including construction notes, schematics, parts list and more for the “ultimate insider experience”.

All material copyrighted for personal and ham club use only. Not responsible for any incidental, accidental or consequential damages from the use or misuse of any products.

Attached Files:

KF5CSW likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds nice.

Does it ID if the radio transmitter is not in use ? (Idle)

Does it check to see if the frequency is in use before transmitting your call sign ? (Hold Off)

Have Fun.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  3. WB8MF

WB8MF Ham Member QRZ Page

The ID'er keys the transmitter via the microphone connection so it will act just like a microphone being keyed in the same circumstances.

There is no "hold off function'. There were a number of features that I had considered adding but the device quickly became overly complicated. Simplicity, in this case, seemed the most elegant.

If you have some specific need or want software changes I can work with you for a reasonable charge.

mIKEY

4. KE8EQI

KE8EQI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wanted to say Thanks to wb8mf I have had my Call Pro for a while now and it is working perfectly and use it whenever the qso goes longer then name, qth, & rst. which is often. I had mine customized with the ends on to fit my ft-991 yaesu worked right out of the box perfectly and was on air using in less then 10 min. after reading the online instructions. Thanks again Mike I know it will help me to keep from violating FCC ID rules when rag chewing and has other uses also like testing audio for self and others, short greetings, or contesting announcements. 73's from ke8eqi