Auto Tuners

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by number6, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. SV2BWM

SV2BWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I had LDG-1000 with Kenwood TS-850 but I was not very pleased with it. This tuner is for commercial antennas and not for random length ones, I think. On the other hand, the Ten-Tec 229B and the 277, are excellent tuners. Can tune practically EVERYTHING! [​IMG]

2. WD8LIC

WD8LIC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i use a tokyo hi power 200 model. very satisfied.

3. M3MVB

M3MVB Ham Member QRZ Page

4. ae5eh

ae5eh Guest

I love my AH4, with an adapter I use mine with an FT897. I'm working on an interface to use it with my FT950.

5. G4ICB

G4ICB Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Iv'e been using the mfj 993B tuner since june 2006. It works great, best thing mfj have produced for a while. I sold my 969,too big and bulky and slow to adjust.
    I can reccomend the mfj 993B.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I have been using a SGC239 for the last few months. A clerk at the local radio store recommended it. The tuner is rated to work with a dipole fed with ladder line which is the main reason for buying it as I have a twenty meter vertical dipole fed with 450 ohm ladder line.

I have a VSWR/forward power meter in line between the rig (IC718) and the tuner. On most bands 80 through 10 meters it tunes for a 1.1:1 VSWR, however on some of the bands like 20, 15, and 10 meters it starts its tuning cycle and goes through several very good matches but then ends up selecting a 2:1 match. You can work with it by going to one end of the band or the other and letting it rematch then when returning to the original frequency that was 2:1 it may now read 1.2:1.

I have no RF in shack and like I say it works well on many of the bands particularly 40 meters (and even on 80 meters). So, I guess my satisfaction is one which, is the glass 1/2 empty or 1/2 full.

7. WR8D

WR8D Ham Member QRZ Page

JW Miller At-2500

Well i love the rig you mentioned, just bought one a few months ago myself.

The tuner in the rig is fine but if you'll be interested in an amplifier later on check out the JW Miller At-2500 auto tuner. Palstar has a new one out too and i'll add the millers are hard to fine but priceless.

For a manual tuner you won't beat the old heathkits i built both of them in the early 80's and have tried a few times to run the guts out of them and they've never given me a problem in all those years.

It's just what ever floats "your" boat but good to get ideas from the rest of us.

Hope this helps and good luck setting up your station.

73 John WR8D:)

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I went with the AH4 for several reasons. The first is that it will interface with my 756 PRO III and my 746 PRO with no hassels. The second reason was the matching range. The AH4 will match 12-5,000 ohms unbalanced, up to 10K ohms with a 4:1 Balun. Some of the LDG tuners only match 6-800 ohms, that's no better than the internal tuners in my Icom radios. The third reason is that it can be mounted directly at the antenna feed point.

It's well built, the price is right, and it will match a wet string. It's truly a well kept secret that has been overlooked by many hams because of glitzy advertising for crummy auto tuners in the back of QST.

9. KB5IAV

KB5IAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used a homebrew tuner for tuning up a single wire feed antenna and had good luck with it. It's 2 capacitors and 2 inductors and it could tune that single wire from 80-10, even though I had RF getting into the rig on 15-10 meters.

With my current antenna, an attic mounted half wave open loop, I've used an MFJ 902H tiny travel tuner and it fried within a couple of weeks while only running 25 watts. Many hams say MFJ makes some good products, but their quality control isn't very good.

Right now, I'm running the LDG Z-11 Pro autotuner and LDG 4:1 balun and I'm for the most part satisfied with it. It will tune up just about anywhere with 1.7:1 SWR or less. It also has manual controls for tweaking the adjustment and I can often get it down lower than 1.7:1. It's not a bad tuner in my opinion, but not perfect.

I went with it because I didn't want to buy another MFJ tuner, and the other brands of manual tuners were out of my price range. I was kind of inactive for a while too, but I'm getting back on the air as well so I know how you feel. Good luck to you.

Also good to see another Prisoner fan here.

10. WW1MM

WW1MM Ham Member QRZ Page

hello

i have an LDG Z-100 auto tuner that i love, although 6m through the tuner isnt that great only because you can only put 50watts through the tuner max. but i dont use 6m at all, so im all set :) haha, the tuner works great for what i do, AND it can be ran off of a 9v batttery for portable use!

73 de KB1OJU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.