ad: GNOHF-1

Auto Tuners

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by number6, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. number6

number6 QRZ Member

I have had my ticket since 1979, but have not had a shack set up
    for several years, I am going to set up a new shack in a couple
    of months and want to replace my old KW107 supermatch with
    an auto tuner (well, I will probably move the 107 over to the
    standby shelf ;))

Anybody care to share experiences with various units?

(I have been away from the game for a while and am just
    beginning to research equipment - so not yet up to speed
    on whats available.

Rig will most likely be an Icom 756 pro III - with my old 820S
    sitting beside it - probably use a dipole or G5RV)

Tnx

2. W4GLM

W4GLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a ProIII and an Icom AH-4, what a COMBO.

The antenna is a loop and it tunes all bands, same tuner

been mounted in a plastic garbage can for 5 years (to shield

from the HOT Florida sun and it works JAM-UP.

Try one you will like it, google AH-4 and you will get many

ideas on mounting and antenna's as well.....Mac

3. number6

number6 QRZ Member

Very cool! This unit looks very promising.
    Looking forward to getting active again.
    Tnx!

4. W6PEA

W6PEA Ham Member QRZ Page

In my truck I use an Ah4 with Ic706mkiig. Works good.

5. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

I used an LDG Z-100 with Icom 718, it has a WIDE range tune, I swear it would tune a beer can dipole!

I dont need it anymore since Im running a fixed screwdriver, BUT... I still wont part with it.. I liked it so much I bought the company. HA HA!

6. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got an MFJ-998 auto tuner. I've used various manual tuners for the past 39 years and this is my first auto tuner. It works very well. It's expensive but has a ton of features; e.g. built-in watt meter, digital readout in addition to an analog meter, rig interface so the tune button on the radio controls the tuner and an amp bypass mode.

I use the tuner with my Icom Pro3 and Ameritron ALS-600S solid-state amp. It makes for instant, no-tune QSY all over 160, 80, 40 and 30 meters -- the bands I operate with my horizontal loop antenna.

I won't get rid of my trusty 25-year-old MFJ-962 kW manual tuner but for now the auto tuner is king of the shelf, so to speak. I had just about decided to buy the MFJ-994B 600-watt auto tuner but it doesn't have an amp bypass feature which is wonderful! But the 994B sells for much less $$$. But I found a used 998 for a good price and so I made the purchase. No regrets at all.

BTW, the fit and finish on the MFJ-998 is excellent. I like it.

73, N4KZ

7. K4AX

K4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the baby version of the above, a MFJ-993B, has foward and reverse watt/SWR meter, and a digital meter with cap and inductance values, frequency counter, fwd and reverse power and SWR. The meter is peak reading, has a built in balun for ladder line, and two antenna inputs.

Has a few zillion memorys for tuner settings for up to 4 antennas I think, once you tune at a certain frequency then go back to it later, as soon as you transmit the tuner goes "CLUNK" and your tuned instantly. I used to have to spend time fiddling around tuning when jumping bands, no longer... I switch bands, and in split second I am tuned.

I think many of the auto tuners out there do that these days. Anyway, the two meters on the MFJ come in handy, I like seeing actual numbers for my SWR and power, never thought that would be a big deal to me till I started using it. It cost around 230 dollars from R&L I think. One of the few MFJ tuners that eham reviewers like.

8. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the MFJ 993-B tuner as well, and must say it works just fine..
    True to the MFJ name the lightbulb for the analog power/swr meter burned out in 2 days, as did it with my friends tuner.

Replaced it with an better one, added an resistor wich will add in keeping it burning an lot longer.

For the rest it does work as advertised.

Cor

9. AB8XA

AB8XA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Icom tuner is highly popular for several reasons.  I like it because it addresses the mismatch problem out between the antenna and feed line, not in the shack.  Find out more about it and other Icom tuners by joining the Yahoo! IcomTuner Group.

10. KD6WAG

KD6WAG Guest

For all of my portable work with an 857d and just running 100 watts, I use an LDG AT-200PRO. I love it. It's simple to use and generally gives me a 1:1 on everything from a G5RV, Hamsticks, Buddiepoles etc...

I plan on testing it on a random wire here in the near future. But... when I finally get around to buying that Tokyo Hi-power that pushes a kw, it's going to be a "Palstar" all the way.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.