Auto insurance (car, truck): custom parts and equipment CPE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5VV, Jul 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. K5VV

K5VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Some insurance providers include insurance for custom parts & equipment with comprehensive coverage. Typically $1,000 is included and you could opt to purchase additional insurance above that. In the event of a claim, the insured party has to show evidence of the custom parts & equipment.

I believe amateur radio equipment installed in a vehicle would fall under this category. I will have photos, serial numbers, and receipts for the equipment.

Has anyone made a claim for this? Any suggestions on what evidence to have and how to go about it?

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In 1974 I worked for Mohawk petroleum on a field test crew. We had converted a motor home into a mobile laboratory so that we could remain on site 24 hours a day and had a gas chromatograph and other test equipment at our disposal. Someone broke into it and stole our two VHF radios that we used to communicate with other company personnel. The insurance covered the radios and the damage to the motor home. Interestingly, none of the really expensive equipment was touched. I don't know for sure but it seems like your car and it's contents should be covered.

3. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's my understanding that comprehensive insurance would not include non-vehicle items like amateur radio equipment. Custom refers to things like higher end wheels, or perhaps chrome engine block covers, or maybe upgraded seats. I am not sure about stereo equipment.

My hunch would be that amateur radio equipment would be excluded, but this would be a good conversation to have with your auto insurance provider.

I would discuss this with the insurance carrier, and see what they have to say.

Also, you're likely to get a lot of opinions here on QRZ, but opinions here don't count as none of us will be your insurance adjuster in the event of a claim. You need to look at your particular policy, it's wording, and it's exclusions to know. Every policy has slightly different wording, so what was covered by one carrier in one situation might be excluded by another carrier in another situation.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    WA8FOZ likes this.
  4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ask your insurance agent, and get it in writing.

My guess is if the amateur equipment is "permanently installed" then it might be covered. For example, a mobile rig sitting on the passenger seat, plugged into the cigar lighter, with a mag-mount on the roof, would probably be unlikely to receive a claim against theft. But if it's professionally installed and mounted and with a real antenna, I would think that would stand a better chance.

You might also check the ARRL Ham Radio Equipment Insurance (members only).

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KB7QPS

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Haha, as if the forums are any better? ;)

8. KB7QPS

Agreed, in this situation.

9. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Right.

Insurance policies are generally governed by state laws, as well as whatever language the insurance company puts in the contract. It's hard to get universal advice that will apply to all insurance companies in all states.

But I'll try, on one minor point. The insurance companies have teams of statisticians who make sure the odds are strongly in the company's favor for every coverage they sell. They make money by collecting more in premiums than they pay in claims. They are very good at that game. Insurance can still be a wise investment if the potential covered loss would be financially devastating, but for losses that would merely be financially inconvenient, it might be better to take on the risk yourself, and save the premium.

I don't insure my hobbies, because they aren't so important. If I lose hobby equipment, I'll manage to survive until I can replace things I want to replace. I've saved a lot in insurance premiums over the years that way.

KK5JY likes this.
  10. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This!! ^^^

The experience of others posting to this forum means nothing regarding YOUR insurance coverage.

And This! ^^^

ARRL insurance covers mobile gear.
    One of our club members made two successful claims.