ad: vanity

Australian Foundation calls unable to make contacts with other Foundation calls?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by VK1FMGG, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK1FMGG

VK1FMGG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone,

I am having a great time with FT8 now that Australian Foundation licence holders can now use digital modes, but am having an issues that whilst I can make contacts with "regular" composition call signs around the world, I am having a issues with completing a contact with another F-Call.

For those who are not familiar, Australian F-calls are seven (7) characters in length which is known to cause issues with WSJT-X when it comes to including grid square identifiers until we can get a six character call sign allocated.

To anybody running a seven character call sign (thinking primary of other F-calls) do you have the same issue?

I am keen to hear your responses. (mind you I am sure it will now work and I will just be making a fool of my self) :p

Sean
    VK1FMGG

2. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Question --- when you try to work another foundation station does either call sign show as a compound call-sign by WSJT-X ( i.e., as in < call-sign > ?? We know that WSJT-X cannot handle one compound call-sign station working another.

For example, when I am mobile ( using call-sign/M ) I cannot work another mobile unless he skips the /M. And when I am mobile I cannot work any station with a compound call-sign, unless I skip the /M.

I would guess that a seven-character call-sign is considered compound. Which would be unfortunate. It is one of the limitations of WSJT-X, the result of a trade-off.

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Incentive for upgrade. :)

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Over there you are spoilt with your $15 tests that allow you to try the next test up if you pass with no extra cost. Try $90 for the theory + $90 for the regs + cost of a call sign (next random or select). My wife has a foundation license and looking at $215 for her to upgrade. If she does this I have suggested she go straight to advanced. If she went standard then later decided to upgraded to advanced that would be yet another $90 for a theory test + cost of yet another call sign on top of the $215 she would have paid to get standard. As it was her foundation cost $164.

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard it's expensive to be a ham Down Under. Some US VECs charge $0 so it can be even cheaper here. Maybe incentive to move (just kidding! thus the smiley)

6. VK4XJB

The cost of the amateur license is not enough incentive to move from my 2100 foot hill with no close neighbours. Town is only a 2 1/2 hour walk away.

This has me curious and leaving wsjt-x running for a bit. With the bands foundation have I am going to make the assumption 40m. She who I sometimes obey is not sure if she would do digital modes or not. If she does decide this is relevant to us. Older versions of wsjt-x would truncate the call sign. So with vk1fmgg older wsjt-x would have used vk1fmg. Not as if Australian foundation licenses are a new thing, they have been around about 15 years. In the past it has had problems with legit call signs made of 2 letters + 2 numbers + 3 to 6 letters. Not familiar with what the current version of the program does.

Even on ssb have witnessed foundation having trouble with no matter how many times the foundation says their call sign the other person keeps dropping the last letter.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems to me they would be better off with issuing something like a VL 2x3 callsign instead of an oddball 2x4 callsign that is problematic.

8. VK4XJB

I have been watching 40m ft8. A foundation calling cq looks normal but whenever I have seen then in contact with someone one of the call signs has the < >. Don't know the pattern why sometimes the foundation has them and other times the other call sign has them.

9. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, nice to know, that is similar to what I have seen with other compound call signs. Sometimes the compound call sign is in <> and sometimes the other. So it would seem seven-character call signs are indeed treated as compound call signs in FT8.

The other day I worked VA3FIRE and they were in <>. I have to applaud JT for accommodating compound call signs. I believe that was a change/improvement from WSJT-X version 1.9 to 2.0

Clearly to get maximum data in a short time window there must be trade-offs.

10. VK1FMGG

VK1FMGG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone,

The Wireless Institute of Australia (WIA) and The Radio Amateur Society of Australia (RASA) have published a quick 3 question survey that asks about the move toward a revised six letter call sign format that they can present to the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA)

I have approval from the President of RASA (Glenn VK4DU) to publish the link for anybody who would like make a contribution.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FL_Callsign_Survey

Sean VK1FMGG

KP4SX likes this.