ad: TinyPaddle-1

AUSAID AND HAMS HELP SOLOMON ISLANDS.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK2BVS, Apr 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VK2BVS

VK2BVS Ham Member QRZ Page

UPDATE-
    Moffet was advised that the Spectrum head is back in the country so the meeting has been moved to tomorrow morning.

Loti Yates head of National Disaster Management Organisation, Solomon Islands arrives at 9.30pm Tuesday (tomorrow) at Sydney airport. Meet him at the flight QF555 exit. I will take him to my home and get him on air around 1300- 1400UTC on 14.275MHz.

...Sam vk2bvs
    My Webpage

2. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there some reason you all can't email each other?
    Why does anyone else care about your paperwork problems?

3. VK2BVS

Hello N3HGB,

If it were only paperwork problems!
    People out there have been helping in what ever way they can in this project.

What you are seeing is the news unfold of a great effort to find problems and address them in an open way.

Yes I could keep this all underwraps but I think there is more to learn in an open media like this.

When this first started I could not believe there was a problem. Just read my early posts.

But slowly because of open feedback that this has generated I beleive we are moving towards uncovering some.

The aim is to uncover as much as possible so we can help find solutions.

If not for this story we would not even have known of any problem. The sooner we find problems the sooner we can fix them.

To find a problem and help fix it is nothing to be hidden in e-mails. We all have problems but thaks to qrz we can all get together and help each other with them. And thats the beauty of this medium- to be able to help each other. If thats your aim then you should not fear looking at problems because you know that there is a solution at the end of the effort if you bring in as many people as what to help.

THE UPDATE-
    Joe- please pass to Margaret and the radio school-
    Hello Margaret, Robert, Moffet and Spectrum,

I want as many of you to get together immediately and work on this problem.

What happened to?
             (1) The 21 licenses that Spectrum printed last year for the graduates to collect and pay for which I saw with the call signs that the graduates had selected and Spectrum checked were available for issue?

And      

(2) What happened to Moffet? Moffet said when he paid the Spectrum license fee he was told the computer was out but he could operate immediately. That was also said to me when I was there to get my license, had paid the fee and the computer was down. So I had no reason to question Moffet.

(3) Which students paid Spectrum license fees?

(4) Did they get a license? What is their Spectrum issued license number and call sign?

(5) If they only got a receipt but no license and they are operating what is the name of the Spectrum official who told them they could operate and what was the reason no license was available for immediate issued?

(6) Which Spectrum official told Moffet he could operate immediately when he paid the license fee while the computer was down?

(7) Which official in Spectrum told Moffet that he has not been told by Spectrum to go off air last week and that he can continue on the air after he went to Spectrum to report someone saying he was illegal?

(8) What are the names and locations of people who are known to be using a radio without authority from Spectrum? Also state if they are graduates students or not associated with the radio school. Ask each person privately for this confidential information.

(9) Ask people one at a time without anyone else listening if they know who stole the Yaesu transceiver and power supply or any other equipment.

The school must become active to stop the action of a few from holding back the good work of the many.

Please try and answer point by point and check with as many students as possible.

Last week I heard someone say Moffet is illegal, even they said Spectrum said that but Moffet said he is legal. Moffet says he went to Spectrum and he told me they said last week that he could continue on the air. But I don’t know what is happening because I am still getting different stories every day.

When Moffet came back from Spectrum last week he said Spectrum did not tell him anything about going off the air or mention anything about his call sign so I told the amateurs about that and that he is legal. Could you check on these things and let me know?

Something must be going on, can you show this letter to Spectrum because if Spectrum is not happy then I am not happy and I am sure you are all very unhappy.

You live in the Happy Isles so we must find out what is happening and immediately correct it without any delay so the happy Isles only has happy people inside it.

Your friend,              
    Sam Voron

My Webpage

4. VK2BVS

Moffet H44MD called me on 28.490MHz on Friday 2 May 2003 after visiting Spectrum Management.
    Moffet said, the director of Spectrum, Robert Bokelema has asked him to stop general contacts (QSO’s) and only to make on air contacts with Sam VK2BVS until further notice.

Moffet said he was told that there was a view that new hams be issued the Novice amateur radio license and not the unlimited amateur radio license.

Moffet and the school director Margaret will meet with the Solomon Island Radio Society today to arrange for the Society’s view on the matter to be presented to Spectrum on Monday.

I will keep a daily monitor watch for Moffet on 28.490MHz so I can assist him however please do not call him as he is only authorised to speak with VK2BVS until further notice.

The 6 month course leading to the issue of a certificate of successful completion of the amateur radio training course is on:
    http://www.H44A.com go to menu
    Click SCHOOL AND COURSE,
    Click TRAINING MATERIAL.
    ...Sam VK2BVS.

My Webpage

5. VK2BVS

Hello Joe,
            Recent developments around the world and Australia regarding the novice and unrestricted licenses will be of interest. Could you pass this on.
    ....Thanks,
    Sam

To-Margaret, Moffet, Graham- SIRS secretary, Robert, Tim and Rex at Spectrum

Australia’s amateur radio society known as the Wireless Institute of Australia has announced in its May 2003 journal called “Amateur Radio” that if its proposal for a new two license system (the current unrestricted amateur license and the new communicator amateur license) is accepted by the Australian Communications Authority then those with a novice license will be upgraded to the unrestricted license.

This was decided at the Federal convention of the WIA on the 5 April 2003.

The report says this upgrading of the novice license to an unrestricted license “ is on the basis that it takes a person starting from scratch, some 16 weeks to prepare for the novice theory license, yet only 20 weeks to prepare for the full theory”.

The WIA proposed new amateur license being referred to as the communicator amateur license in Australia was introduced last year in the UK where it is called the foundation amateur radio license. It requires one weekend (10 to 12 hours) of study.

The novice license is much closer to the unrestricted qualification than to the qualification of the UK entry level license proposed by the WIA to be adopted in Australia. That is why Australia’s WIA will support the upgrading of all novice licenses into unrestricted licenses to create the new proposed 2 license amateur radio system.

Previously the only other difference between novice and unrestricted was the Morse code standard. However, with the dropping of the Morse code level required by unrestricted licensees to the same standard as novice licensees in Australia, New Zealand, UK and the USA the novice has come close enough to the unrestricted level that it is being removed and replaced with a genuine entry level license.

SIRS and Spectrum may like to look at these developments as they indicate the need to remove the novice license (USA and New Zealand have already removed it and Australian amateurs through the WIA are following)and replace it with the UK 10 to 12 hours of study entry level license.

Regards,
             Sam Voron VK2BVS
             2 Griffith ave, Roseville N.S.W., Australia 2069.
             Tel/Fax-61-2-94171066
             E-mail-  svoron@hotmail.com

Readers will be interested to hear that in Australias national ham radio magazine, Wireless Institute of Australia members are being asked 2 questions.
    1. What power level should the new entry level licence allow- 10, 50, 100 or 200Watts.
    2. Should all amateur bands be available to the new entry level license- Yes or No.

That license called the foundation amateur radio license in the United Kingdom is being called the communicator amateur radio license in Australia.

...Sam vk2bvs
    My Webpage

6. VK2BVS

Loti & Greg,
    I talked to Joe and he said this week they will print the ham radio course (70 copies? he did not give a number) and next week they will start work on the ham radio school building (install airconditioners?).

NEWS UPDATE FROM HONIARA.
    Margaret Koi, Director of the Amateur Radio Training School met with Spectrum yesterday. Today she will meet with SIRS and Spectrum again.

7 May 2003
    To- Joe
    Please pass to Margaret, Director Amateur Radio Training School.

Hello Margaret,

You asked about my examining experience. I have faxed you a letter authorizing me to conduct amateur radio exams in Australia issued in 1991 by the Wireless Institute of Australia.

The WIA equivalent in Solomon Islands is Solomon Islands Radio Society. I have faxed you their letter dated 2002.

The other country in which I conducted ham training and examining was Somalia.

In Solomon Islands, 21 students out of over 100 people successfully completed all training and exams for the unrestricted amateur radio license. You will see that the 21 certificates I issued are signed as the Solomon Islands Radio Society Examinations Officer.

Graham, Secretary of Solomon Islands Radio Society will confirm that those 21 graduates successfully completed the 6-month course and exams as the certificate indicates.

Keep training the other 80 students!

Your best friend,
             Sam Voron VK2BVS
             2 Griffith ave, Roseville N.S.W., Australia 2069.
             Tel/Fax-61-2-94171066
             E-mail-  svoron@hotmail.com
             web-     http://www.H44A.com  

HERE IS AN E-MAIL COPY OF THE FAX’ED WIA LETTER I SENT YOU:

25 Sept. 1991
    Amateur Radio examination service of the Wireless Institute of Australia.
    National Society of Radio Amateurs
    founded 1910

To: S.Voron VK2BVS

Dear Sam,

Congratulations on being appointed as a WIA Exam Service Accredited Examiner and thereby becoming a key person in the future growth of the amateur radio service in Australia. Your registered number is AE 104, and this identification should be used in all communication with this office.

Enclosed is your copy of the Examination Manual, together with a set of master forms and the current schedule of WIA Exam Service fees.

If, as an examiner, you have any queries, please check this manual first for the answer before contacting WIA Exam Service.

As you will know, although WIA Exam Service has limited resources, we are determined to support provision of ready access examinations to all potential radio amateurs at the lowest possible cost. The efficient operation, at the lowest
    possible cost, of this system of examinations will depend to a large degree upon the effective co-operation of all accredited examiners in minimising telephone calls to WIA Exam Service by themselves and by candidates.

I look forward to participating with you in assisting more people to become radio
    amateurs.

Yours in amateur radio,
    Bill Roper, VK3ARZ,
    General Manager and Secretary.

HERE IS AN E-MAIL COPY OF THE FAX’ED SIRS LETTER I SENT YOU:

23 April 2002

To: The Director,
    Spectrum Management Division,
    Ministry of Transport, Works and Communications,
    Honiara.

Re- S.I.R.S.

Dear Sir,
              Please be advised that SIRS is presently being reformed by interested individuals. The Society has been inactive for many years so the renewed interest is very welcome.

At this time Mr. Sam Voron is acting as Training, Examination and Licence condition review officer.

It is anticipated that a meeting of all interested amateurs and prospective amateurs along with any interested people will be called in the near future to officially reform SIRS with election of new office bearers.

Yours Faithfully,
    Graham Richardson H44GR
    (temp) Secretary

7. VK2BVS

THANK YOU GREG -
    Greg in the USA started his assistance by purchasing and then donating numerous amateur and CB transceivers, power supplies, SWR meters, baluns, antenna wire insulators and freighting them to Solomon Islands in 2002.

Today Greg donated a 6 month fund to help key volunteers with bus fare and food through 2003. The full time volunteer staff who have no income are starting their second year to teach students. These teachers have been giving all while struggling with bus and food costs.

Greg contacted the Prime Minister of Solomon Islands when he heard that students had licensing problems. The Prime Minister called Loti Yates the director of the National Disaster Management Organisation to find out more and gave his special secretary instructions to deal with that matter.

Greg has enjoyed talking with the new hams on the Solomon Island whenever radio conditions allow his amateur radio station at his home in the USA East coast to be heard in the South Pacific “Happy Islands” on 28.490MHz.

Greg is always thinking and then doing things which can help half a million people whom he has never met but who now know of his friendship to them.

As cyclone relief operations were being started in January 2003, Greg’s donated radio transceivers arrived just when needed. The National Disaster Management Organisation had trained radio operators and equipment thanks to the encouragement given by good friends around the world such as Greg.

NEWS FLASH
    SOMALIA CALLS FOR HELP

Sam VK2BVS has answered the call from Radio Galkayo in Puntland, North East Somalia to go to Somalia and repair the shortwave broadcast station set up by amateur radio volunteers in 1993 and upgraded with the help of Rotary and Australian government funding in 1994 and to this day receiving training and support from Oxfam Canada who recognise this station as one of the few community radio stations in Somalia.

Sam will be departing to Somalia and donating his HF transmitter. Oxfam Canada funds will cover Sam’s return ticket and the Galkayo, Somalia community will cover Sam’s food and accommodation.

If you would like to join this project you can help by donating and sending by DHL air freight to Radio Galkayo, Galkayo, Somalia, 3 or more 811A tubes for the stations AL811 amplifier.

Sam will also try to repair the stations Henry 1000Watt AM output 5Kw SSB amplifier.

If you would like to keep in Internet contact with Sam and are able to donate further spare parts as may be needed also contact Sam.

Last time Sam was in Somalia he travelled 1,400 kilometres looking for a .01 microfarad 7KV capacitor with no luck and ended sending it on his return to Australia.

With peace talks underway this radio will keep the community up to date so this is the time to help the people back on air even though terrorism and SARS is scaring most foreigners away from travel.

Please contact Sam on e-mail if you would like to help
    E-mail:   svoron@hotmail.com    
    or telephone Sydney, Australia 61-2-94171066
    See       http://www.radiogalkayo.com

While Sam is in Somalia check for updates on the Solomon Islands on  http://www.H44A.com

Sam's call sign in Somalia is 6o0A (six oscar zero alfa).
    Try 28.490MHz and 14.275MHz.
    Sorry no QSL's, this trip is focused on helping the Somali people so all Sam's time and funds will go to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.