ad: CQMM-1

AUSAID AND HAMS HELP SOLOMON ISLANDS.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK2BVS, Apr 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VK2BVS

VK2BVS Ham Member QRZ Page

JAPANESE, GERMAN AND AMERICAN HAMS GET SOLOMON ISLANDS AMATEUR RADIO LICENCE AND VISIT MEMBERS OF THE AMATEUR RADIO TRAINING SCHOOL IN THE CAPITAL, HONIARA.

Moffet H44MD reports that 2003 has been busy in the Solomon Islands with the following foreigners visiting and helping the newly licensed hams in Honiara.

From Japan, Ito Sadao (Dan) JA1PBV was issued call sign H44V on arrival. He bought some wire to help Motfet make a 15metre dipole antenna. He left at the end of his holiday.

From Germany, Bernhard Stefan DL2GAC was issued H44MS on arrival. He donated a balun for Moffet’s 15metre antenna. He left at the end of his holiday.

From Japan, Kazuo Miyamura (Kazu) was issued H44H on arrival. He met Margaret H44MKA the director of the Amateur Radio Training School and together with Moffet were treated to a fine dinner at one of the local Hotels. He left at the end of his holiday to Papua New Guinea where he uses P29KM.

From the USA, Norried was issued H44NC on arrival. He is currently the only foreign visitor in the Capital.

Greg N3MVF in the USA is mailing some insulators and balans to help the hams  build their first 80 and 40metre dipole antennas. That’s great help as all hams have only experienced 20, 15 and 10 metres thus far.  

Look for Solomon Islands on 28.490MHz (primary). Also 28.480, 21.295. 21.290, 14.275, 14.260, 14.210, and 14.190MHz. On air times are from 2000 to 1100UTC.

Moffet and Margaret want to thank everyone who were and are visiting Solomon Islands in 2003 and helped the local hams.

All visitors are welcome to come and help at the Amateur Radio Training School.

To meet the Solomon Island hams and find Solomon Islands licensing and visitor information go to the Amateur Radio Training School Internet address.

http://www.H44A.com
    Click SCHOOL AND COURSE,
    Click TRAINING MATERIAL,
    Click INTRODUCTION TO CB RADIO AND AMATEUR RADIO

AUSAID HELPS HAMS SEND DONATED GEAR TO THE AMATEUR RADIO TRAINING SCHOOL.

Ausaid will make possible free transport for donated gear to the Amateur Radio Training School in Honiara, Solomon Islands.

Thanks to donors I have 40 boxes full of donated gear ready to go.

Further donated ham and CB gear or bits to make dipole antennas and anything a ham School can use can be delivered or sent to:

Sam Voron,
    2 Griffith ave,
    Roseville, N.S.W., Australia 2069.
    Telephone-61-2-94171066

CONTAINER LEAVING SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA SOON.

Big thanks to all who have already donated so the local born people of the Solomon Islands can join the fun of ham radio.

Keep your receiver on 28.490MHz to follow the aid effort.

Regards,
    Sam Voron VK2BVS
             2 Griffith ave, Roseville N.S.W., Australia 2069.
             Tel/Fax-61-2-94171066
             E-mail-  svoron@hotmail.com
            My Webpage
    web-     http://www.H44A.com

2. N4VA

N4VA Ham Member QRZ Page

How long will Norried, from USA be operating? What is his home call and QSL information?

3. VK2BVS

Hello N4VA,
    Look out for Moffet H44MD on the frequencies mentioned.
    Last time I talked to Moffet he was making arrangements on the air with Norried to get together for the first time so Moffet will be a good source for the info you need.

73...Sam vk2bvs
    My Webpage

4. H44NC

H44NC Ham Member QRZ Page

04/24/03 Hello this is Norried H44NC. I have been operating here since 1993. I will be living here until 2006. I just went to Spectrum Management yesterday to report this news on QRZ.COM. The Solomon Islands Government, Spectrum Management Division is the ONLY authority here that issues Telecommunication Licenses and Call Signs. I was informed that H44MD (Moffet) and H44MKA (Margaret) ARE NOT legal and were NOT issued their ham licenses. They are operating illegally. Should anyone receive their QSL cards they are not good. Should further information be needed you can e-mail me and I can hand deliever your e-mail to Spectrum Management or you can write them at the following address:
    Spectrum Management Division
    Solomon Islands Government
    Ministry of Transport, Works, Communications, and Aviation
    Attention: Robert Bokelema or Timothy Mausae
    P.O. Box G8
    Honiara, SOLOMON ISLANDS
    This is indeed sad news, but reality.
    Regards and 73,
    Norried H44NC

5. VK2BVS

Hello Norried,
                   Thank you for that info.
                    Both Moffet and Margaret were issued their licence in November 2002.
                    Maybe they have not renewed.
                    I will ask them to both go to Spectrum asap.

73...Sam
    My Webpage

6. N3MVF

N3MVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Norried,

Just interested if Spectrum Management has been charging you a renewal fee? I know that has been disputed with the new licensee's that are citizens of the Solomon's and spectrum management. Also, I assume since you are a US citizen they are charging you the visitor fee?

thanks and 73,
    Greg
    N3MVF

7. VK2BVS

Hi Greg,
          Margaret, the Director of the amateur radio training school did negotiate in November 2002 with Robert Bokelema the Head of Solomon Islands Spectrum that local graduate students pay a $12 ham licence fee which was the old 2001 licence fee.

I think foreigners might still be paying the $100 fee which was introduced in 2002 but not sure.

Robert Bokelema has now moved to Papua New Guinea so Margaret will need to find the new head of Spectrum and sort out where things stand.

Moffet did pay for his licence last year in November 2002.
          In Australia our licences are for a full year.
          In Solomons all licences expire at the end of December.
          So did he renew?

I will be active all day on 28.490MHz so I can pass the info on qrz.com to him.

He called me yesterday before the qrz post and I told him that today is the Australian ANZAC rememberance day holiday and that I will be on the air all day on 28.490MHz USB.
          He was on yesterday at 0400UTC on 28.490MHz when I was talking with 2 USA, 1 Russian and a (Jordan ham in the Capital, Amman who said he will be on air again today).

Moffet also asked me to be on so that Margaret can talk to me, so with luck I will get them both today to check the expiry date on their licence and have them both go to Spectrum asap.

73....Sam VK2BVS, Sydney, Australia.

My Webpage

8. VK2BVS

Hi Chris,
           Regarding certificates.

Spectrum agreed to recognise the certificates issued by the Amateur radio training school.

I issued and signd them after the 6 month amateur radio course ended October  2002.

Spectrum agreed to the choise of call signs requested by the 21 graduating students.

Spectrum printed out 21 licences with the call signs requested by the graduates.

Most students dont have a licence, only the amateur radio training school certificate of successful completion. Moffet was one who did pay the fee and got his licence last year.

All licences were printed and sitting on the table at Spectrum when I was there in Oct. 2002 but most students did not have the money to pay the amateur radio license fee.

Most students dont have $2 to catch a bus.
           They dont go to the other schools because they have no money for the school fees.
           The ham radio school is the only free school in the country so the licence fee has been their last barrier.

Thats about the certificates.
           Moffet has the ham school certificate.
           I will check on the expiry date of his Spectrum issued licence and let you know.

The course leading to the issue of a certificate of successful completion of the amateur radio training course is on:
    http://www.H44A.com   go to menu
           Click SCHOOL AND COURSE,
           Click TRAINING MATERIAL,
           Click INTRODUCTION TO CB RADIO AND AMATEUR RADIO

73...Sam vk2bvs

My Webpage

9. VK2BVS

Good news folks!
              Spectrum confirmed that Moffet H44MD is legal.

Moffet H44MD arrived at Spectrum Management at 9.30am today 25 April 2003.

Norried H44NC had been there an hour earlier.

Spectrum asked Moffet “ did Norried H44NC tell you anything?”
    Moffet said, “Norried H44NC said I must qrt”.

Timothy Mausae and Rex who are the only two current Spectrum officials said that only Spectrum can tell Moffet H44MD to QRT and they did not tell Norried H44NC to tell Moffet H44MD to qrt.

Moffet H44MD is a licensed ham radio operator.

Moffet said he does not know why Norried did that.
    Moffet said all the foreign hams have been very kind.
    I told Moffet I am sure someone gave Norried wrong information and that he would not have made up the story.

Since Norrid went to Spectrum on Wednesday and both officials say they did not tell Norried that Moffet was illegal I will take a guess at what happened.

Norried arrives at Spectrum.
    The door is open.
    The 2 Spectrum officials are not there.
    Someone else not from Spectrum is there and that is where the story comes from.
    I might be wrong but often when officials are out other people sit in their office or wait outside a locked door.

That’s my guess, it could be wrong.
    I told Moffet I am sure Norried will explain and I am sure he was only saying what someone had told him and would not  purposefully be making trouble for him.

I told Moffet to meet Norried and that I am sure he will find him as friendly as all the other foreign hams he has met.

Regards,
             Sam Voron VK2BVS
             2 Griffith ave, Roseville N.S.W., Australia 2069.
             Tel/Fax-61-2-94171066

My Webpage

10. H44NC

H44NC Ham Member QRZ Page

04/25/03
    Hello this is Norried H44NC. I have physically been in Honiara since July 18, 2002 and physically living in country since August 10, 1992. I speak, read, and write fluently the Solomon Island Pijin language.
    On Wednesday 04/23/03 I was told by Mr. Timothy Mausae, who is currently the acting head of the Spectrum Management Division, that both Moffet and Margaret were NOT issued a call sign and NOT issued a telecommunications license. They were both instructed to operate under H44AA which is/was Sam's call sign. I was requested by Spectrum to monitor the situation and report to them any feedback. Yes, for sure, I agree, there should be as many hams here in Solomon Islands that legally fulfill the requirements. And once again the Spectrum Management Division of the Government of the Solomon Islands is the ONLY authority to issue licenses and call signs.
    Here is today's REAL story..... Yes, I visited Spectrum Management this morning (04/25/03) around 10:40 a.m., AFTER Moffet and Margaret had visited with Mr. Timothy Mausae at Spectrum Management. Mr. Mausae told me that he advised both Moffet and Margaret NOT to operate until their particular situations are discussed and a solution is found. He requested me to monitor the situation and provide feedback to his office. I NEVER told anyone that they "must QRT". Ask the other hams that were reading the mail for verification on that (approximately 0927 GMT, 04/24/03, @ 14.315). I did suggest that it might be best for amateur radio and the bands to QRT and visit Spectrum Management to discuss the problems. I have NO authority to tell anyone that they "must" do this or that on the amateur bands. I am simply an amateur who is under authority and follows the amateur rules.
    I am still hoping to have an eyeball to eyeball conversation with those persons whom Spectrum Management have said do not have a license. I am trying to make friends and assist and lend a helpful hand in this situation. Let us all hope that there is some sort of administrative mix-up in all of this and we can all enjoy one another's company on the amateur bands. But again, this is reality.
    Regards and 73,
    Norried H44NC

11. VK2BVS

Hello Norried,
                   Yes I got a note from a VK that says you did not tell anyone that they must QRT but that is what Moffet felt you were telling him in the most polite way.
                   The VK said Moffet H44MD yesterday agreed to stop operating and go to Spectrum.
                   Today Moffet H44MD went to Spectrum and they told him he can continue on air and that they have not told him to qrt.
                   Great to have you on the Island.
                   Please meet with Margaret, the director of the Ham School and Moffet . I was there for 6 months last year helping them in all ways get the school going. I know the officials trust foreigners more than the local people.
                   Get behind the locals and show the officials that the local hams are as good a hams as any anywhere.
                   I told Moffet and will tell Margret next time she is in Moffets shack (maybe this afternoon) that they will find you as friendly as all the other foreign hams they have met.

Keep up the good work because you are the only ham foreigner in town and everyone is now looking for your guidance.
                    Once you meet the locals I am sure you will love them and they you.
    .....Sam vk2bvs
    My Webpage

12. VK2BVS

Hello Norried,
                     I was sure Moffet said he was at Spectrum after your visit.

I asked him today and he said he was at Spectrum at 11.40am yesterday not 9.40am as I thought he said.

I explained everything that you were told and that you want to help.

Now that Moffet understands where everything is coming from he is happy.

He was never instructed by Spectrum to keep off the air. That was confirmed in the 11.40am meeting when Spectrum told him they did not want him to qrt and nothing was said about call signs.

Moffet would like to meet you on Monday at 9.30am at Spectrum.

I have told Moffet that you would like to help and he is keen to meet you.

He will bring Margaret along to the get together with you.

Moffet said the other Spectrum official, Rex would like to visit his shack. That will be Rex’s first time to see ham radio in action.

Moffet will also walk around to see if he can spot your aerial so if you see someone outside looking up it is probably Moffet.

Welcome to the adventures at the amateur radio training school!

I told Moffet he will love you and you them.

73…Sam vk2bvs

My Webpage

13. VK2BVS

Hi Norried,
             Could you pass a copy of this letter to Margaret, Moffet and Spectrum.

Hello Tim, Rex and friends.

Margaret has organised with the old head of Spectrum, Robert Bokelema, that $Solomon-12 be the ham licence fee for graduates of the amateur radio training school.

I think Margaret, the ham radio school director has not paid the licence fee so she can try and further negotiate free ham licensing for all the 21 (one died), 20 graduating students same as the USA FCC fee free ham licence.

There is also the chance to get exemption for the graduates, as they are all volunteers of the Governments National Disaster Council (NDC).

In Australia hams that are in life saving organisations can apply for exemption from the ham licence fee to the Australian Communications Authority.

Last year Loti Yates via Martin Karani sent Spectrum a letter as the Director of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NDMO), the coordinating arm of the NDC within the Department of Home Affairs. He asked that Spectrum exempt graduates of the amateur radio training school of any license fee as all graduates are volunteers of the Government’s National Disaster Council.

I believe Spectrum said last year they need to draft legislation to make that happen.

The Prime Minister attended the graduation ceremony last year to give to each graduate the school’s certificate of successful completion of the unrestricted amateur radio licence course. That course was held every Monday to Friday from 8am to 4pm and even some Saturdays and Sundays over a 6-month duration in 2002.

Last year Loti Yates, director of the NDMO told me he is happy to talk to Spectrum about a licence fee solution. Loti often meets with the Prime Minister so areas of assistance are available if needed to find legislative advice.

It may be that the departure of one head at Spectrum and its replacement by another is the reason time has been needed to decide the next steps in helping the countries first local born ham operators to join the airwaves under what has been up till now a ham licence for foreigners.

New Zealand this year is introducing a once only charge for a lifetime ham radio licence. Hams will never need to renew that licence hence no yearly charge.

FCC has been issuing free 10year duration licences to USA hams for many years now.

I am proposing we follow the New Zealand lifetime ham licence here in Australia but make it free of a one time fee.

Now New Zealand issues FREE ham licences to foreign visitors and I have also proposed we follow that here in Australia.

These ideas might be something to consider in Solomon Islands especially as the ham radio school is the only free of charge school in the country. It attracts the students who have no money and can’t go to Government or private schools which all charge fees.

I will always remember how many students said "if there was no ham radio school I would be at home doing nothing"!

This project is really helping people no one else is helping.

I want to thank Norried for delivering this letter.

I send a big keep up the join teamwork between Spectrum, the foreign ham helpers and the staff of the Amateur Radio Training School of the Solomon Islands.

Please keep making more great things happen in the Solomon Islands.

Hear you all on the airwaves!

Regards,
             Sam Voron VK2BVS
             2 Griffith Ave, Roseville N.S.W., Australia 2069.
             Tel/Fax-61-2-94171066
    My Webpage

14. VK2BVS

Norried- could you also pass this SECOND letter to Margaret, Moffet and Spectrum.

Hello Norried,
                     Just talked to Moffet this afternoon and asked him if he was at Spectrum with Margaret on the 25 April 2003.

He said he went on his own AFTER your visit but Margaret was there BEFORE your visit.
                     So Spectrum had the three of you visit at different times that morning.

I have not heard Margaret (she talks from Moffet’s home but has not visited him yet).
                     Moffet is pleased that I have sent mail via your kind self as none of the locals can afford the $5 Internet charge so they don’t use the Internet.
                     That explains why most of the graduates are waiting for an outcome on the licence fee issue.
                     Last year the graduates selected call signs that Spectrum checked were free but were blocked by the $100 ham licence fee which Margaret was able to get negotiated down to $12.
                     You don’t have an income or job and you are from a non-money village society living with city friends or relatives. They care for you and provide you free food and bed. Where do such people find $1?
                    You get every thing you need free plus along comes the free 6 month ham radio school course.
                    Suddenly someone wants $12 to give you a non-money generating hobby licence.
                     This is where those people have ended after successfully completing a 6-month ham radio course.
                     Your meeting those people is very timely otherwise I fear they would be alone with that problem. Hams have donated radios. Money for the licence is the problem facing the local people.
                     Hopefully the previously sent letter will help find a path to remove that final barrier not just for our 20 graduates but for the local future hams who live in remote villages throughout the 350 islands known as the Solomon Islands.

Regards,
             Sam Voron VK2BVS
             2 Griffith Ave, Roseville N.S.W., Australia 2069.
             Tel/Fax-61-2-94171066

My Webpage

15. VK2BVS

Hello Norried,
                Could you pass this third message in the attachment to margaret,tim,rex,moffet.
                It is proposals for updating Australian ham radio regulations which might help there. Its party based on what New Zealand did.
                Also there is the text of a radio interview about a vision for the role of amateur radio in Solomon Islands.

73...Sam
    My Webpage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.