Auroral RFI?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KY8D, Mar 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

Wondering to what extent the Northern Lights would interfere with the 10MHz band if aiming an antenna trans-polar?

This is a before-I-build-it type of question. Thinking of a switchable wire array aimed most of the time toward South America, but reversible to also aim at Alaska and the Far East on a Great Circle map, going somewhat to one side of the North Pole.

I wonder about this in particular after watching the movie "The Russian Woodpecker" which informed as how that tremendous antenna array for over-the-horizon radar never did work on account of not being able to penetrate the aurora.

Those who know, really know, please kindly respond. May I kindly request that the army of wild guessers hold back to the extent they are capable.

Thank you,

Gan Starling, KY8D

2. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't know about 10mhz, but I have extensive experience with VHF and UHF interaction with Aurora and one with 80 meter distortion.

Six meter CW and 6 meter SSB sounds like this during Aurora.

Attached Files:

KY8D likes this.
  3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

A huge problem for anyone trying to work Alaska for WAS on 160M from New England or the mid-Atlantic. I'll see folks trying for months to make that one contact.

Not as bad on 10 MHz as the low bands, but I'd say that auroral absorption is the main reason why the trans polar countries are the hardest to get for DXCC and WAZ. I finally worked HS0ZIV for #40 fror 40M WAZ. Worked All (CQ) Zones.
    Also country number 272 on 40 meters. I only have 251 countries on 30 meters, but I think the difference has more to do with lower activity levels than the lack of propagation or the 200 watt power limit. I can eventually work stuff on 30M like the recent EX0QR operation but there just isn't enough activity from places like Mt Athos and the UN Building in NYC. I'm missing Z26, the zone I just worked on 40 to finish WAZ, and Zone 2, on 30M. Z2 is mostly uninhabited Canada.

My beam heading to Thailand is precisely 0.0 degrees. All the stuff due North is hard due to auroral aborption. There are maps of the auroral oval to ray trace the propagation path. Eric KL7AJ's propagation book mentions expensive propagation software that can do ray tracing.

Sometimes you can use long path to work around it. I'm sure that many of my contacts with Macao (XX9, 355 degrees) are long path.

Zak W1VT

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    KY8D likes this.