ad: QSKLLC-1

Audi issues when transmitting on 2 meter repeater using Yaesu 857D

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K8PRB, Mar 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K8PRB

K8PRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi I am having intermittent issues with others not being able to hear me when transmitting on local repeater using my Yaesu 857D mobile set up.. It starts out fine then suddenly they can't hear me at all or hear very bad static. What could possibly be the issue? I have used an Yaesu 8900 on the same repeater with no issues.
    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Bad microphone connection? Bad antenna connection? Bad power connection?

Does it only happen on this repeater? Simplex OK or same problem?

3. K8PRB

K8PRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah simplex seems to be fine with no complaints thus far but on 2 different local repeaters things are going fine then all the sudden they ccan barely hear or understand me. I was even sitting still in the drive way when this happens and the repeaters I can easily reach with my handheld so distance shouldn't be an issue.

4. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure it would be this but my 857D had extremely hot audio on FM if the mic was set for the same gain level as for SSB. FM remembers mic gain separately as I recall but I had to turn it down to less than half that for SSB.

Some repeaters with a tight duplexer, you will “talk out” of the repeater with too high deviation (to hot audio). You will be ok talking the mic in a low voice or at a distance from the mic, but over the threshold you just drop out. It can sound like a bad cable. On simplex you won’t hear it.

Throw a dummy load on it, drop power to a watt or so, monitor on another radio and raise the mic gain until you can’t hear it get louder. Then back it down just to the point you hear the audio drop in volume. That should work.

K4AGO likes this.