ATX supply question

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by K8ERV, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I sure hope not ! Those have an infinite capacitance and are very difficult to discharge.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

2. K8ERV

Mistaken about what? That could be a lot of things!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh, it gets crazier, I've heard of Solder flux but not a flux capacitor!

To switch a ATX on simply short the Green 'Power ON' wire to ground, that would be a black one... it's the computer logic that holds the power supply ON, by grounding the said wire. What am I missing here?

Trouble is with ATX power supplies the actual given wattage can be taken with a pinch of salt, scope one at full said load and watch the ripple. Amazes me some ATX claim xxx watts at so many amps per rail yet the wire is mighty thin, sometimes you can strip the sleeve back and see the copper conductors dis-colored.

If this 'flux capacitor' happens to be a main smoothing block simply discharge through a 1K resistor for a minute or two.... I use a light bulb before using the screwdriver blade to be sure! In Universal ones there's usually two in a split formation.... NOT in parallel.

4. K8ERV

Flux cap is a joke but not sure what it means.

The green is connected to the ground.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. KE3WD

KE3WD Ham Member QRZ Page

"Flux Gate Capacitor"...

See you further down the timeline in the future,

6. KB3PXR

KB3PXR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's very strange, I've seen ATX supplies reset instantaniously on brief shorts, but they may not have tripped fully and only dropped the Power Good signal to the mainboard causing the system to reset.

7. K8ERV

I don't want to make a big deal about this, I just thot maybe someone knew a simple answer. I will investigate later. Tnx to all.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You must be living on the dark side of the moon if you don't know what a flux capacitor does. It makes time travel possible.

[​IMG]

On the other side of things, an "oscillation overthruster" is what makes travel between dimensions possible:

[​IMG]

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

9. WN6U

WN6U Subscriber QRZ Page

Too late Tom. It is a big deal now, and we will never let you forget! :)

10. K8ERV

Must be a slow news day.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.