ad: M2Ant-1

ATU 100 Screen Issues

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by LU6BLF, Nov 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. LU6BLF

LU6BLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,

My first post, recently licensed and starting with HF after some experience with VHF/UHF already.

Im getting my station set for HF and decided to go for an antenna tuner, the most affordable one was the ATU 100, I bought it assembled and I found a weird issue that I'm hopping somebody can help me figure out as returning the unit will be very complex as I need to ship it back abroad.

The issue I found is that over a certain power level, the screen of the device goes crazy, the text turns into some unreadable garbage and sometimes even gets inverted like in a mirror (weird), once that happens, I need to power cycle the device. Funny part is that it seems is still working and even I can sometimes see the correct numbers among all the garbage characters.

If I put a carrier only I can see this starts happening only over 30 to 40 Watts, but in SSB seems sometimes at 10 watts it happens too.

Other than that the device seems to work as expected, and keeps the tuning, but I want to see if there is anything I can do to fix it as really will prefer not to have to return it.

ATU.jpg

Thanks

Jose Luis
    LU6BLF

2. LU6BLF

LU6BLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Again.

Ok, I found the issue, the cable that connects the Oled display to the main board was bent and touching the board(even had a drop of glue attaching it), I just raise as much as possible so that is not touching the PCB and the issue disappeared.

I was already thinking I could not be so unlucky to have got a faulty one, was an easy one in the end :)

Hope this may help somebody in the future

ATU2.jpg

Regards,

Jose Luis
    LU6BLF

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    F4VUK likes this.
  3. F4VUK

F4VUK Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds a very good idea. My tuner works well just after having put the filter caps where the buttons wires connect to the pcb, and the screen garbage is the last issue I see.