Attic antenna setup

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N3VER, Apr 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure about the flag pole? There is a federal law that enables condo owners and other citizens to fly the US flag on their property anytime/all the time. But do look into building an STL as well even if you put a flag pole or other antenna up (never can have too many...)

73, Jeff

2. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jeff is the man for STL's, someday I might try one for 160, my XYL will hate it.

NH7RO likes this.
  3. N3VER

N3VER Ham Member QRZ Page

Some day I'll set up my volcano lair and install a giant loop around the rim--a VTL? ;-)

4. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

A G5RV painted to match the roof and mounted just above the edge of the roof on standoffs could easily (in your neck of the woods) pass for an ice melter to keep ice dams from forming under the shingles. It would be hard for the HOA to outlaw that. On another point I have mountains rising to 10,000 feet just under 2 miles to the west of my QTH which is in a high valley at 4000 ft ASL. While one would think that they would "block" the path from SW (VK/ZL) through W (KH6 etc) to NW (JA, BV etc) they don't interfere at all.

5. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Check my QRZ page for a picture of my Sierra Slim dipole evading the volkspolizei of our HOA. Gotta swap whips to swap bands, but worked quite nicely. I used a painter's pole & bungee straps.

NH7RO likes this.
  6. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I like that---an ice melter---instead of a cloud burner/worm warmer which is a more accurate term for any horizontal antenna at low height! Good one! The only trouble with that is your neighbors will want one...

Effective but stealthy antennas always require a good mixture of clever deceit and ingenuity.

73, Jeff

7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A G5RV is a very difficult antenna to deploy in an attic. The balanced line section needs to hang free and in the clear, coming away from the antenna at a perpendicular angle. Most people don't have enough room in their attics to deploy the balanced line section properly.

Lots of people in HOA situations start with attic antennas. They almost all switch to flagpole verticals, "invisible" outdoor antennas, and/or small transmitting loops sooner or later, usually sooner. Lots of hams operate several different kinds of stealth antennas; different propagation conditions will favor different kinds of antennas at various times so its nice to be able to switch back and forth between different ones.

One possible solution is to use a member of the MFJ 935 family. This is basically the matching system for a Small Transmitting Loop (STL), leaving the purchaser to construct only the loop itself, which is relatively easily done.

To sum up, an attic antenna is about the worst possible choice. If it really is your only choice, go ahead. But it probably isn't if you do a little out-of-the-box thinking.

A good 1:1 current balun should be installed at the junction of the balanced line matching section and the coax in most G5RV installations.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    NH7RO and OH2FFY like this.
  8. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you researched AC0C's attic antenna site? Besides directive antenna, he has also built a 10-band system.... see attached

Layne AE1N

Attached Files:

9. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

10. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly.
    Antennas in the attic should only be considered when you have no other choice.

gregW:) OH2FFY

NH7RO likes this.