ATTENTION HEX BEAM USERS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VE3PP, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Now, that would be one heck of a discount!

Hopefully I will find a way to get it up, maybe I will find a moonlighting cable TV worker that wants to make a few extra bucks (not likely)!

fp

2. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I thought I would ask ;)

3. AC0FP

The beam is now all wired up, I will use the MFJ259B tomorrow to check and see if the VSWR looks reasonable.

4. K7EE

K7EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had a Traffie 5 band for a number of years and have operated it any where from 30 feet up to 65 feet at present. It will not have the FB, or the side rejection your quad had, it will probably out perform a small log most of the time, and will be a 50/50 horse race with the MA-5B, if the MA is at 60 feet or more. I keep track of the antennas I've use on DX contacts just for the heck of it, and the Hex has contributed a third of my DXCC. If an antenna can be fun to have, the Hex has been a kick in the pants. passerby's have asked, "What the heck is that thing?" I usually tell them I'm listening for aliens

5. AC0FP

Well I checked the beam out with the MFJ259B. It's VSWR measures a little low in frequency on all bands, the worst is 6 meters at almost 1 MHz low. Reviewing theory, this is probably right as the antenna is just mounted on a construction post 2' off of ground. I don't remember any data being published but I think the shunt capacitance from ground should lower the resonant frequency of the elements, with 6 meters being the lowest since it is closest to ground. I would raise it and check but raising the antenna is the present problem!

I have put a request for assistance in the club news letter but I haven't had any replies. I think I'd better be working on a "plan B". :eek:

fp

6. AC0FP

I can't believe someone hasn't posted a differing opinion regarding my resonate frequency of an antenna close to ground!

7. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

your swr will read lower and more broad-banded when the antenna is low to the ground ( do to more loss )
    i dont remember what way the freq skews but expect it to change...

8. G3TXQ

G3TXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The frequency where minimum VSWR occurs will rise when you get the antenna higher; and you're correct, the frequency shift will vary from band to band.

The VSWR does not read lower when the antenna is close to the ground; it again improves (reads lower) when you get the antenna higher.

Steve G3TXQ

9. AC0FP

Well the guys in the club came through and the hexbeam is now up at 30'. The VSWR is good on all bands now, with about 1.3:1 or better being typical over the usable band segments. I am hearing European stations that I never heard before with my old 15 meter EDZ antenna. :)

fp

10. K6JEA

K6JEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great news. Love a happy ending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.