ATTENTION HEX BEAM USERS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VE3PP, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would like to hear from anyone who is using a HEX Beam. If you are did you buy a kit, make it yourself?

How high up do you have it mounted, and your general opinions on how well it works compared to other HF yagis you have used in the past.

I am contemplating on buying one. I would like 5 bands on one antenna. The only other option is the MA-5B or a small log periodic.

I used to own a Lightning Bolt 5 band quad and wish I had not sold it. But water under the bridge never flows back!

2. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm also considering purchasing the DX Engineering kit, so I too would like to hear.

How heavy duty a rotator do you use and do you have it mast or tower mounted? I'm hoping to mount one on a Channelmaster 30' push up mast, if I can afford all the hardware this summer. I sort of shot the budget earlier this year.

3. AD1DX

AD1DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I put together the DX Engineering version this fall,I have it on a chimney mount with a small Yaesu rotor-height about 30 feet above ground level.I have never had a beam to compare it to.I will say that it consistently out performs my Buckmaster OCf.I am very happy with this antenna,space limitations preclude me from puttting up anything bigger.

4. G3TXQ

G3TXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a home-made 5-band version with the baseplate at 20ft. It weighs 13lbs and I turn it with a Yaesu 450 rotator at ground level.

I used to run a Cushcraft MA5B at the same height, and later a Butternut HF5B. It comfortably outperforms them - not least because of the improved performance bandwidth.

Many years ago I had a full-sized 3-band cubical quad at a similar height; from memory I'd say it outperformed the hex.

Steve G3TXQ

5. AB9YN

AB9YN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AB9YN
    Steve
    The K4KIO hex beam has fewer parts and most everything is precut with terminals on the ends. Looks like a good one and it has 6 meters too! A friend just bought this one and he's convinced it's a better deal than the DX engineering one. I like DX products, but I don't want to cut and tune wire elements of the antenna. I just want it to work.

6. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

DSCN1594.JPG
    I have a KIO hexbeam sitting on the ground right now because I'm not physically able to get it up to its final 36' height right now. I sure wish I could try it out!

I have included a picture of the NTE rotor/thrust bearing assembly I'm planning on using.

fp

7. AC0VP

AC0VP Ham Member QRZ Page

I just finished putting together a 6 Band Hexbeam from the homebrew plans on leoshoemaker.com and have to say that it is definately a winner. I would like to get it up higher, but as I am a renter, I have to live with what I have. Currently have the baseplate up at about 23 feet and rotating it with an extremely old Radio Shack Rotator, but the rotator has no problems with it and with the winds we get here in Colorado, I have been amazed at the fact that it barely moves at all in the wind.

Definately out performs my 2 Cushcraft Verticals that I have in the back yard. Good f/b attenuation and get good reports from wherever I point. My only recommendation would be that it is probably better to buy the kit from k4kio or one of the other manufacturers. At the end of the Day, the $620 pricetag on a 6 band Hex is not all that much more than I ended up paying after all was said and done.

ONly lesson learned was that if building one from scratch, DO NOT use the nylon P-Clips that they recommend in the instructions, you can get steel P-Clips with rubber liners inside for fairly cheap and they are way more solid. I had 5 nylon p-clips give out on me within the first 3 days of the antenna being up, so tore it all down, replaced everything with steel p-clips and it has been up and solid ever since (Only about 2 weeks now). But great antenna. It is my first directional antenna and I really enjoy it.

AC0VP
    Mike

8. AE8O

AE8O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the KIO beam and I have been very pleased with the performance. Another manufacturer of the same style beam is way over priced. DX engineering beam Im sure is well made but requires more assembly and measuring of elements you must complete yourself. Also, DX engineering does not offer six mtrs while the KIO beam does. The Kio beam is well made with elements packed in their own labled bags. All you have to do is a simple assembly which includes no measuring or tuning. Mine is up only about thirty feet in the air and the results are very good. Keep in mind this is two elements on six different bands with no traps and no tuning required and feed with a single coax. Will it perform as well as a three element monobander or even a three element multiband beam? Probably not, though the impression I get is that it does seem in actual practice to outperform what the specifications would suggest. When you think about the capabilitys you get for the price it seems well worth the cost and will open up a new world of communication ability. The KIO beam is very well built and I feel is a better bargain than other versions of the beam. No traps to burn out, No tuning, Low enough SWR you need no outside tuner even with running an amplifier, You can run the legal limit as well. Great beam for the price that I would recommend to anyone that does not have the environment where they can put up a huge beam at a great height.

9. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just one comment on the KIO hexbeam, while the elements are precut you have to adjust the wire spacing on the fiberglass poles in order to get everything to fit.

The antenna looks really good but it is still on the ground mounted on a 2' tall 1-1/4" pole stuck in the ground.

fp

10. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Frank, since you can not get that Hex up I think you should sell it to me for $200, because I can get it up in the air! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.