!!ATTENTION!!ATTENCION!! CYBERCRIME IN PROGRESS; kc2zxl@aol.com

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KC2ZXL, Mar 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N6DNM

N6DNM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a suggestion to increase the security for all involved in buying-selling -- implement a 2 form-factor for when posting to sell something. So for example when you post - the QRZ would send a text message to a registered phone ( i would assume we all have cell phones) and the ad would go live only when the code is entered. Or something along the lines... Just my 2c...

2. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My call and name were/are hijacked--see warning post on here---I am sure I could sue but really! I am also sure it's not cost effective. Other than massaging the ego, it's a waste. I have dealt with attorneys and talk from experience. It's the depraved world we all live in and why lifelock and such exist.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't assume that.

4. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

( i would assume we all have cell phones)
    Don't assume that.

...by any stretch of your imagination. Many of the sellers do NOT have cell. I have wireless here, but when I am at home it is No Joy as I live in the sticks. Closer to town, it works fine, just not at home.

5. N6DNM

N6DNM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok Gentlemen - you made your point and I was wrong in my assumption. But then again - we definitely all have computers if we are posting here. Meaning there is still a way to come up with a second form of authentication which only deals with computers -- google authenticator for one - https://github.com/gbraad/gauth web app or multiple email accounts. Anyway - there are ways to improve security. Again - just my 2c's

6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

In a TV show that would look and sound really impressive!!!!
    Reality,,,,,,,,if you are too lazy to go to a hamfest or meet at local police station you have enabled your own problem..

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  7. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a dumb phone which does not have any email/texting set up (too many unwanted messages). Your idea is a non-starter for me.

I am to the point where buying/selling on-line has become such a hassle that I would rather trash things than try to sell them OR buy new from a reputable dealer.

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FWIW, I notice that many scam posts come at night or very early morning (US time zones). This could be so that they get some visibility before the moderator has a chance to check them, and/or because the scammer is in a distant time zone.

9. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

Reality is that many of us live in an area where there are no other hams to trade with, and hamfests are once a year. It's on line or mail order or nothing. My nearest retail ham store is about a 6 hour car drive, imagine those folks in the plains states who are remote from everywhere. It's not one world out here.

10. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I knew someone would say that.

Online is fine if you buy from a merchant that has an actual mastercard or visa merchant account. Those sellers are vetted by the card processor and require business credentials and a credit check and or personal guarantee from the principle. So if you have bad deal with those merchants you just call your card company and initiate the resolution process. Note, their is a big difference between merchants that take paypal, stripe and the others, those "merchants" lack any vetting ( an email address and bank account is the only requirement) so take that how ever you deem appropriate.

Secondly, no one in their right mind would/should pay $100 less for a year old radio when you can get a new one with a warranty. Your risk exposure is so high its not even funny, spend a $1 to save a dime concept. Unless it has sentimental or specific use value just buy a new rig from a qualified legitimate dealer.

K8MH likes this.