ad: ProAudio-1

!!ATTENTION!!ATTENCION!! CYBERCRIME IN PROGRESS; kc2zxl@aol.com

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KC2ZXL, Mar 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is people using weak passwords for their login, not QRZ.
    QRZ's for sale system is fine.

AG5DB, KY5U and N0TZU like this.
  2. W1IG

W1IG Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch for an FTdx1000....The KC2ZXL scammer tried scamming me also... Used the email address of.... peterkc2zxl@gmail.com

3. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The N2TNU ads are just fine. He simply failed to post pictures and call signs in his 3 ads this morning.

AF6LJ likes this.
  4. W6JWZ

W6JWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very true.... I don't believe QRZ could really do anything more... not really their responsibilty. I actually make telephone contact with each seller/buyer.... And ask for a email/text of their Drivers Lic... gotta match up . If the seller is bogus they wont provide it. I figure: i have your sheesh from the FCC anyway. why not in an abundance of transparency.... show me what i ask for. ...

5. K2JEB

K2JEB Ham Member QRZ Page

how can you/we be sure about that?

6. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What I wonder is, once someone uses your call, does that mean that no one will trust you and you cannot sell anything? I would have to be wary if someone said, no, I am the REAL W*** selling, this time. Even though the crime does not involve you, can someone be sued for using your callsign which is yours and yours alone, and damage to reputation and loss of income from net sales or something? I guess, as if they have any assets to begin with.

7. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can be 99% sure. We have several software tools here at QRZ that give us some very, very good accuracy.

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KC2ZXL

KC2ZXL Ham Member QRZ Page

After doing some reading, I think I know how he got a hold of my QRZ password. It was one email I vaguely recall that had a QRZ link and I clicked on it to login. And I think that's when all this problem started.

Be careful guys, don't click on any URLs on emails when you receive them. Always manually type out the URL on the Browser then logon.

On top of that, from now on, if I buy anything, I will ask for two IDs -- one government issued like Passport or Driver's License. The addresses will need to match up with FCC database of course. Lastly, do speak to the guy over the phone with caller ID that you can call back -- and lastly, PayPal address is verified and the name/address matches the ID.

Lesson learned.

10. KN7S

Exactly. They are one of many servers that many scammers and bulk e-mailers use.