Attempting QRP from Hawaii

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AJ6KZ, Feb 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m in Hawaii and am going to give it a try. I don’t expect much, but what the heck.

I do have a question, however. I haven’t been able to find what the appropriate suffix for my call sign is when operating here. Hawaiian call signs begin with KH, so it’s not like it’s just a different number I can tack on to the end.

WW2PT likes this.
  2. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I will assume you are visiting and not residing full time.
    I think it would be safe to sign AJ6KZ/P (portable)
    Hope you have good results!
    BTW, What mode(s) will you op?
    CW or a digi mode will give the best outcome by far...

3. AJ6KZ

Ah, thank you! Good idea.

I’ll be CW only so I’m hoping for something, and I’ll post my results on this thread.

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

FB OM Kelly...
    I hope you enjoy the scenery and your time there!

5. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Kelly,

Since Hawaii is a state and also a DXCC counter, it is OK to just give your normal call without any additional suffix. Hawaiian calls can be KH6 or KH7 these days. Its not just the KH, the number is important also. Pacific island territories like Guam all start with KH and number. The number identifies which island or territory. IOW KH2 Is Guam, KH3 is Johnston Island. and so on.

But wait, there's more!

If you want to draw attention to the fact that you are operating in Hawaii, it is normal to send /KH6 on the end of your call. At least that was the old school way and still accepted. However, the "new way" is to us the DXCC / State identifier as a prefix. That seems more strange to all of old DX'ers but that is the proper way to ID these days to draw attention to your special circumstances.

KH6/AJ6KZ = New way
    AJ6KZ/KH6 = Old way
    Either is OK

The fact is that the FCC does not require any additional identifiers for portable operation when you are away from your home location. All the additional stuff /KH6 /QRP /P /M are strictly optional and only serve to draw attention to the fact that you are somewhere special or operating in some special mode. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and actually expected in some circumstances.

So go the islands, sit on some mountain top and "Let 'er rip!"

WW2PT and W7UUU like this.
  6. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

As others have suggested, I would go with KH6/AJ6KZ. Many years ago I had the opportunity to operate from a hotel room in Gothenburg, Sweden. I used SM6/K5DH.

WW2PT likes this.
  7. AJ6KZ

Excellent information! My concern was giving contacts the wrong impression of where thier signals were going, so I’ll use one of these two options. Frankly I like the old way for some reason.

WW2PT and WG7X like this.
  8. AJ6KZ

Very neat! Did you make any contacts? I won’t be able to get to a mountain so my chances are slim, but it will be fun to try.

9. AJ6KZ

First attempt: utter failure.

Still, I got my inverted V set up on the lawn of the fancy resort with no hassles. I did hear a call from E51DDG, who was doing a DXpedition from Rarotonga. I tried to reply but he couldn’t hear me.

At least one more try in the offing!

10. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked most of the western states from Red Hill military housing complex (southside Oahu) back in the very early 80's running an HW8 on 15 meters with about .75 watts out. Operating as wb3juo/kh6. That was a long time ago.

AJ6KZ likes this.