ad: Alphaant-1

Atomic Pi availability update

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, Jan 12, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Atomic Pi can now be purchased from Digital-Loggers through Amazon (with free shipping for Amazon Prime members.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CGFM2B1

This includes the "Developers Kit" which is comprised of the main unit and the "Enchilada" proto/breakout board. Price is $39.95.

Amazon's $24.95 bundle of the "Baby" connection board is kind of expensive for what you get. The included Enchilada board provides a lot of connectivity.

For more info on the breakout boards and the main unit, including full schematics and even STL files to 3D print an enclosure for the unit, here is the main site for the Atomic Pi:

https://digital-loggers.com/api.html

Ted, KX4OM

KY4GD likes this.
  2. WF9Q

WF9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ordered one. Really like the terminal block, that is better suited for what do. Pins on the pi are nice too but,,,
    Have you compiled anything with the Intel c++ compiler for that processor.

3. KX4OM

No, I have not. Have you looked at the Atomic Pi forum on Reddit? It has about 1,800 members.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Atomic_Pi/

Ted, KX4OM

4. WF9Q

Did you see the really cool wooden case that someone made for the Atomic Pi.

Be nice is MS would rework DOS 6.22, that would be nice and that little box would be a very good fit for DOS.

5. WB0QPO

WB0QPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I just saw this in response to an Amazon question:

"Is there any chance this could run Windows 98 or XP ?
    Answer:It will, but you're limited to 2GB RAM.
    Thanks for looking.
    -Martin"

I would think it would run MS-DOS (it's an Intel Atom chip) . The question is why do it? :) A better choice would be BASH (or other shell) under Linux (I'm a Windows user but have used BASH in the past and seems like a better fit and provides more functionality that DOS ever had.)

6. KX4OM

It would run DOS 6.22 in a virtual machine. VirtualBox, for example. Or a Type 1 hypervisor; Proxmox VE is free and open source. It sits directly on a modified Linux kernel (not on an OS) and uses KVM for full virtualization. With that, the sole purpose of the Atomic Pi would be a virtualized server to run one or more VMs, tucked away in a closet and managed via a web GUI interface or command line over Ethernet. See the NetworkChuck YouTube video on setting up ProxMox VE. The guy is a masterful instructor.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u8qTN3cCnQ

7. WF9Q

Running DOS you can directly write to the bus, in Linux based OS you have to read/write a file. The old DOS will not access the upper memory, if memory is correct something like 512kb.

DOS 6.22 was stable and predictable. Back then I would use a Galil or some other brand of motion control card on the ISA bus. That worked very well, not perfect but very well. Then came windows and the message loop that could not be stopped, it ended using an actual box for serious machine control. Early windows was okay for applications that are not critical or complex.

8. WF9Q

Just got mine today. Its amazing, cannot believe they are still instock at that price. Did not realize it comes with a camera, that is cool. I will try to get it fired up on ubuntu 21 and will post how that goes. Its most certainly an industrial grade build and at that price its unreal.

9. G8XQB

G8XQB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now showing as unavailable on Amazon :(

10. WF9Q

Shows stock now in the USA. I just checked because I put 10 of them in my cart this morning and thought that might have cleaned out the amazon stock. If it is out of stock in USA let me know and I will remove some of those from my cart because I need some other stuff too and still have not clicked buy.

G8XQB likes this.