Atas 120a ????

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KG5WKO, Jun 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KG5WKO

KG5WKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked at this as my ft857d has the tuning set up in it. One model is active tune other is not. Curious on how they do differently to justify 100 bucks. I have HOA mess can this really be used base? I have a mast base pole 7 feet high grounded all over the place. Would it even be a possibility it could be used? Would I need a special power supply. I was impressed by one on SUV but I have a Toyota pregnant roller skate. I can just install and pull rig on days not using it. Heat here is intense. Makes me unsure having mobile in that car. (or run my coax into house to rig!!!!}

2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Stay far away from the ATAS. Especially for a base antenna. Hamsticks work far better mobile and much less expensive compared to the ATAS. Using it as base antenna would be like throwing money down the toilet and equally frustrating.

AK5B likes this.
  3. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're going to use a mobile antenna, for the same money, you can buy a Diamond SD-330 screwdriver which is an order of magnitude more antenna. Ground mount it out behind the house and work it against radials. Plant some shrubs around it. It will tune 80m-6m, although working 80m will probably be a stretch. Put down a dozen or so ~33' radials and that will help a lot. Or whatever length will fit. You can use the switch that comes with it and tune it by hand or use a controller. Won't be ideal, but it should work.