ATAS 120a in Tacoma Pick up

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KM5KC, May 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM5KC

KM5KC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking of installing a Yaesu ATAS 120a in the left rear corner of my Tacoma pick up bed. There is a vertical steel channel that I currently have a mount for my Hustler antenna installed on. Due to a low garage roof at work, I will have to mount the ATAS at the bottom of the channel, this will cause the lower 16 inches or so of the antenna to be shadowed by the pick up tailgate. Will this seriously affect the operation of the antenna? I do not want to mount it outside of the bed if I can avoid it.

2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In all likelihood it will have a fairly serious effect given the fact that much of the antenna will be parallel to other body metal. If you could raise it up a little so that only the coil (and not the whip) is next to body sheet metal you should be OK

K0UO likes this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're really serious about HF mobile I would say that's a serious compromise but so is the ATAS 120a.
    See Alan's web site, k0bg.com

WA8FOZ likes this.
  4. KM5KC

5. KM5KC

The bottom half of the coil will be inside the bed itself, the upper half and the entire whip will be in free space. This is how I have my Hustler installed right now. I am using a standard 20 meter resonator with the short mast in order to be able to enter the garage at work. It has a 8ft 2 inch height and I have 2 inches to spare.

6. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

A better screwdriver antenna with a quick disconnect for the whip should do.
    The ATAS is really not a good performer at all. If you have it already, use it. If not, invest in something better.
    Otherwise, keep the Hustler & add the multiresonator adapter.

Ed

K0UO and WA8FOZ like this.
  7. KM5KC

8. KM5KC

Thanks for your thoughts. I may just keep what I have for the moment. I also use a short 10 meter hamstick. This works well when the band is open