ATAS 100 antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by kg4eom, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. kg4eom

kg4eom QRZ Member QRZ Page

I have had an ATAS 100 antenna for several years. So far I am not satisfed with its preformance. The best it gets is sitting a foot off the ground. Anything higher it will not tune.
    Has anyone had any luck using one at a remote location or mobile.
    Tks
    Craig

2. KB0YCI

KB0YCI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had very good success with mine running it mobile. I mounted it on my F-150 on the drivers door, right at the top of the windshield. Haven't had any tuning problems with it there and it has performed admirably well. I managed to keep a 40m sked with a friend in Colorado during my trip from there to California last year. We heard each other well enough to carry on a 15-20 minute conversation at each appointed time (every odd hour if I recall correctly). Combined with my FT-847 in the truck, it does great.

I did try setting it up as a base antenna at my apartment and, for all intents and purposes, it didn't work at all. My methods of trying to get it to work there may have been flawed, but I'll stick to it as a mobile.

KB0YCI

3. kg4eom

I tried to use the ATAS 100 mobile with an FT 100
    in my F150 ford truck also. All I could hear was static on HF. 2 meters was good so I kept it in the truck for about a year. later I tried it as a portable base antenna with very little luck. See, QST Feb. 2002, The Doctor is in. I also have an FT847 and I might try it mobile. Perhaps there is a differance in their tolerance to static.
    Thanks for your help
    Craig Stadler KG4EOM

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I have had my ATAS 100 on my Chevy for about 2 years now. I mounted it on the side of my tool box, pasenger side, I grounded it to the frame and I have had great responce in contacts both local and DX. The only thing I had to do after a while was to repair the ground; I added a peace of wire inside where the ground broke to give it flexability so it wouldn't break again. I have not tried it as a portable or base, but I am satisfied with it.

73's N7UAA

5. m5reg

m5reg Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    i have used an atas 100 and ft 100 in my mobile,for three years,using a triple mag mount on the roof,and i have more or less worked the world,i have also got it to work local stations ei europeans,on the ft 847 and the atas clipped to a hot water pipe in the shack.

73s m5reg

6. kg4eom

Thanks N7UAA and M5REG.

Looks like I have more trouble shooting to do.
    Trouble with my truck is, I have a fiberglass bed cover.
    As for using it as a base antenna, I read in a FT 100 site that the ATAS 100 is only half of the antenna. The other half is the ground. Kinda hard to ground fiberglass. I am going to try it on a mag mount on top of the cab. Not for a permanent location but to prove to myself it words.
    Thanks guys and
    73's KG4EOM [​IMG]

7. KC2KFW

KC2KFW Ham Member QRZ Page

I installed my FT-100D in my Olds Ninety Eight and the ATAS-100 on a Diamond K-400C, mounted on my trunk lip. I've had excellent reports on it. I've not worked the world, but I've not had it long enough for that, yet. I have worked several states, however, without any problems. Also, if grounding is an issue, I know that Yaesu also sells a radial kit for people attempting to use it as a base. You may want to consider this option if grounding is a constant issue. Good luck and 73!

KC2KFW Chris

8. N6CY

N6CY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's simple to operate, tunes all bands on my Honda Accord, and a joy to work. I've done all continents on the FT-100/ATAS-100 combination. I've been very lucky with this combination because I know others who haven't been quite so pleased.

The ATAS-100 has complicated internal construction but there are souces on the web for how to service it if it goes south.

[unfortunately, I'm having to sell the setup to lighten my load before executing mil orders to Europe]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.