ad: elecraft

Astronaut W5LFL, Owen Garriott is SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Apr 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. DK2PP

DK2PP Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP from Germany !

2. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP a great man !

in a group on facebook I talk with an OM in Oregon who was one of the first three who spoke to him when he was in space for the first time!

PS a curiosity but how come 2 equal posts here on qrz new, reason?

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

Admin of FB group ISS Space Station International Fan's Group

3. PY5BYE

PY5BYE Ham Member QRZ Page

"Owen Garriott - W5LFL, I'm saddened by your departure; I thank you for the opportunity I have had in being able to communicate with my colleague a few times and to improve myself in space communications. Go back into space and meet God again. "
    Miguel Kassis - PY5BYE

4. IW2BSF

and....

Richard Garriott (Owens son) was also an astronaut, he flew up in a Soyuz space capsule on October 23rd 2008 and spent 12 days in the ISS (International Space Station) that have a contact via radio with his father on earth (the contact is on Youtube ! ), he’s a successful computer game developer,

Although not a Ham, but as goal driven as his father was.

KG4AKV likes this.
  5. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

Those were exciting times when Dr. Garriott made the first orbital flights carrying amateur radio. I was privileged to be part of the crew to produce the film "Amateur Radio's Newest Frontier" featuring Owen Garriott. Roy Neal (K6DUE - SK) and Bill Pasternak (WA6ITF - SK) and I traveled to several of the NASA facilities to shoot scenes to include in this feature. I and my camera was allowed to spend several hours with the astronauts inside the spacelab simulator to record some of their training efforts for their mission. Owen was certainly a powerful advocate for amateur radio in space and paved the way for many future missions taking ham radio aboard. It is largely due to his negotiations and careful insistence that he was allowed to take some modified radio gear and antenna on the shuttle. He was able to prove the viability of spaceborn amateur radio and we still enjoy the results today.

K0UO likes this.
  6. PE1KWE

PE1KWE Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP Owen, you will be remembered. de PE1KWE, Dirk.

7. KG4AKV

KG4AKV Ham Member QRZ Page

You should put that recording on YouTube or something.

K0UO likes this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Richard Owen's son is a Ham, his son (now W5KWQ which is his Grandad's Owen SR original call) from my station in Belize V31KV, when he was on the International Space Station

9. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

10. IW2BSF

thanks for the precisation !