ad: vanity

Astron RS-35M Not working after Lightning Storm

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NU9S, Aug 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N3AB

N3AB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Jim, place a dot on the pc board next to the socket where pin 1 of the chip is. Just in case. Also, mark pin 10's location on the bottom (upward facing side) of the board in case further testing is needed. You may also want to mark pins 1 and 14.

Once you replace the chip, make sure you remounted the PC board before you power it up. Good luck!

73, John N3AB

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Was the power cord connected ? :p

Good Luck, You will fix it.

3. NU9S

NU9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes the power cord was connected and the power switch was turned on.

4. N3AB

Jim, you have quite a few guys here that have your back. We know you can and will fix this!

John N3AB

N6QIC and KA9JLM like this.
  5. NU9S

I want to this has been a great power supply, I also use it to power my dual band mobile. I found out I had cancer last year and had to go through a transplant this year so I could use some good luck. I am just glad that the lightning did not take out everything I had so could’ve been a lot worse.
    Jim

N6QIC and N3AB like this.
  6. N3AB

Jim, I survived a near fatal aortic aneurysm 15 years ago. The good Lord isn't ready for you or me yet!

You can fix this supply. Feel free to start a conversation with me, or email me at my QRZ listed email.

John N3AB

7. W2WDX

W2WDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys are so quick to address the problem, but not the cause. Which means after fixing it, the same can happen again ... and again ... and ....

I highly recommend you read the posts in the Antennas forum on "Grounding Do's & Don'ts and Why?" The OP is spot on; and ignore some of the argumentative replies. The core information presented by the OP is the right way to go. Read the three threads in their entirety, then read them again. Then fix whatever isn't correct in your station. This may help mitigate this problem happening again ... and again.

BTW, since nobody mentioned it, change that burnt bypass cap on the AC you showed in your image, and any other part that looks the same.

Lightning (and proper grounding) is nothing to be trifled with. It can kill, both equipment and people.

8. NU9S

How do I find out the value of that cap so I can find a replacement?
    Jim

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a .01uF disc ceramic capacitor; since it would routinely stand off 177Vpk I'd use at least a 500Vdc rated capacitor.

It's across the 150V MOV which helps protect the power supply from line transients. Since the AC line fuse doesn't blow, that MOV "might" still be good (at least, it's not shorted), however it may be degraded. I'd probably replace that, too.

Something like this is probably good enough: https://www.newark.com/littelfuse/t...quy0p6Fdyt-sYlhEtH3Veifmo0veuL_QaAs2IEALw_wcB

10. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With MOVs being a known failure part that develop cumulative invisible damage I would most definitely replace it. You can find numerous fires started by MOVs in power strips failing.