ad: QSKLLC-1

Astron RS-35M Not working after Lightning Storm

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NU9S, Aug 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N8YQM

N8YQM Ham Member QRZ Page

To that, I would say take a chill pill. I'm an electrical engineer, and you would be surprised how many electrical engineers don't work on things "hands on". Yep, they may have their master's degree or PHD in electrical engineering, but give them a circuit board and a handful of parts, ask them to wire up a circuit and they would have no idea. Chances are good they don't know how to solder, or how to use a digital multimeter. Maybe they could analyze the schematic of an Astron RS-35 and know how it works, but ask them to troubleshoot one that isn't working and they probably would not be able to. So, cut him some slack, passing the FCC license exam does not automatically make one an electronic technician.

Thank you to the OP for his service, and hopefully he can make some progress on the supply.

WD3N, K1TGX, KV4PD and 2 others like this.
  2. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any news? Is it fixed? I've enjoyed this thread, wishing I had many of the advisors as Elmer's ... (minus the 1 or 2 rude and now ignored posters of course)

Been rooting for you @NU9S

N3AB likes this.
  3. NU9S

NU9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I installed the new IC chip and when I turn it on the voltage reads 13.46v but when I key the rig on FM at 100 watts output the power supply drops to 6 volts output. The radio output never drops under 100 watts when this happens and I think it would drop output wattage if the power supply was only putting out 6 volts but it does not drop at all. I am really thinking my old Craftsman volt ohm meter is not working properly so I am going to replace it tomorrow and see what happens. If you know of any other things it might be let me know.

Jim

WA9UAA likes this.
  4. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

If the radio is now producing 100 watts key down I'd check the metering. Hope it works out.
    Rob

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Job.

Sounds like RF may be getting into it.

6. NU9S

Thanks to all of you for the help and give me advice with this problem and for keeping me from junking the Astron power supply. The parts to fix it were less than $1 and it was very easy to change it. Is the meter problem true with most digital meters or do I just have a cheap POS meter that I need to replace with a Fluke or similar or higher quality?

Jim – NU9S

PS: Now if someone could just tell me to either buy the IC-7610 or wait until the new TS-890s or the new Yaesu FT-DX101 series is set to be released. I want a new rig and with the big three coming out with new models or some already out it makes it a hard decision. I have used all 3 brands in the past IC-735, Kenwood TS-570, and Kenwood TS-590 and loved them all and all have their issues. Oh well that is for a different thread to be solved another day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WD3N, KQ4MM and N5RFX like this.
  7. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Buy the 7610. You can wait forever +1 year to get the next best thing. Icom knows what they are doing form the 7300, the best selling radio ever-- for a reason. The other players have years to catch up. Yes, Yaesu is great, Kenwood is great, blah, blah. Icom has been through it with great results already. "It's no Flex." It doesn't have the pricetag of a Flex and performs comparably.

Being a fanboy for a particular brand is just silly. I buy the best radio at the time for the money.

8. WB4SPT

WB4SPT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a number of Fluke DMM at home and at work. Don't expect Fluke meters to work well in RF fields. I also use triplett and simpson meters for that. Even had to modify a simpson meter with caps across the diodes to fix RFI.

9. NU9S

Sorry I did not get the whole reply pasted into my previous post here is all of it except the photos which can be seen in the earlier post"

Ok I went and bought an analog meter today and tried it out compared to the digital meter. Attached are 2 photos of the digital meter, one before keying the rig at 100 watts and once after the rig was keyed. It reads 13.44 volts DC at idle then 3.02 DC volts when the radio was keyed. I even tried checking my A/C wall outlet the power supply is plugged into. It read 116 volts when the rig was not keyed and 58 volts when the rig was keyed. I used the analog meter to take the same readings and the meter never varied when the rig was keyed down (between 10 and 20 volts in the black scale) so you were correct in saying the RF was getting into the digital meter (Good Job). The power supply works perfectly since replacing the IC chip and after using an analog meter to verify it's output. And I have extra IC chips if anyone needs one :)

Thanks to all of you for the help and advice with this and for keeping me from junking the Astron power supply. The parts to fix it were less than $1 and it was very easy to change it. Is the meter problem true with most digital meters or do I just have a cheap POS meter that I need to replace with a Fluke or similar or higher quality?

Jim – NU9S

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    KK4CUL and K1TGX like this.
  10. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Good job on getting your supply repaired. A Fluke is never a bad investment, having an analog meter is never a bad idea. Simpson 360s (Analog and kinda of an industry standard.) react to RF fields too. I'd make getting the RF out of the shack my next project.
    Rob