Astron RS-35M Not working after Lightning Storm

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NU9S, Aug 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. NU9S

NU9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The other night we had a bad lightning storm and a bolt hit near our neighborhood causing most to lose cable and my stereo power conditioner to trip the breaker. The only thing that would not work after it all ended was my Astron RS-35M. Now the switch lights up, there is a hum from inside but it only puts out .10 volts. I took the cover off and nothing smells burnt and no fuses blown so me not being very tech minded that's as far as I got. Anyone here have any idea what might have been taken out during a surge to cause this? I don't know of any repair shops in Orlando that handle equipment like this anymore so any help would be appreciated. By the way the radios and all other equipment seems to be working great after all this.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Shorted pass transistors maybe and the crowbar is triggered. Bridge could be bad.

Did you have a battery or large caps connected to the output ? That can cause regulator IC damage on power fail.

Do you have a manual ? They are easy to work on and repair.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    KK5JY and KK4CUL like this.
  3. NU9S

It was connected to a radio only if that is what you mean. What is a crowbar and how would I know if it is triggered?
    Jim

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The most static/EMP sensitive part in the Astron is the 723 regulator (small chip, costs about $2).

I'd check or replace that first before doing anything else.

WB5YUZ and K0OKS like this.
  5. KA9JLM

Most everything can be tested with a ohm meter.

WB2WIK has a good suggestion.

I do not recommending installing a IC socket, But many people do if they plan on smoking it a lot. o_O

6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

If I remember correctly, Repeater Builder had a PDF with voltage points....

KK5JY likes this.
  7. NU9S

I will most likely end up junking it since by the sounds of the replies it is above my knowledge level to even test it. I really appreciate the help but would have no idea where to even start looking other than fuses which are good. I guess I was hoping it might be an internal fuse or something east to check. Too bad we lost AES in Orlando I could just take it there. It would cost too much to ship back to Astron due to the weght so that's out. Not meaning to be negative but I know my abilities with electronics and it's not much :)

8. KI6USW

KI6USW Ham Member QRZ Page

WD8ED likes this.
  9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a bit sad if you want to "junk" the p/s without even some rudimentary trouble-shooting. Do you at least have a relialable VOM or digital DMM? First disconnect the rectifiers from the main board; that will allow only filtered DC at the Positive terminal of the filter cap(s.) If you measure 18+ Volts, your rectifiers and transformer are likely good. The next likely suspect is the LM723 (or equivalent; NE723, MC1723, etc.) IC. A direct replacement is usually faster than troubleshooting. The Astron linear supplies ate among the easiest to trouble shoot and repair. you mau learn much in the process. The "Repeater builder's" web site is the place to start.

N3AB likes this.
  10. KA9JLM

I never knew a Marine that gave up.

You have friends on your local repeater or club that will be glad to help you. ;)

Good Luck. Save it for later and think about your options. Gomer can fix anything. :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    N3AB and KK5JY like this.