Astron Power supplies

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K0WVM, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N8YQM

N8YQM Ham Member QRZ Page

The club I was in had an RS-35M, and it always worked nicely. I just bought one to replace an MFJ-4035MV. I can say don't buy the MFJ. In MFJ's defense, they didn't design it and only stuck their name on it (mine has an MFJ sticker stuck on the front), but I had problems with it picking up RFI and shutting down the cooling fan. When I took a look inside, it looks like it was homebuilt. Lots of little baby boards scattered around, with poor solder joints and poorly stripped wires tacked here and there. The filter caps in it were just a bunch of cheap electrolytics wired together. The Astron is much better built. Big electrolytic with large screw terminals on it, one single PCB with all the parts neatly soldered to it, and it doesn't pick up RFI. Oh, and the MFJ only has a two conductor line cord, and the case is floating. Could be why it picked up RFI so well. The Astron uses a computer style line cord connector, and the case is grounded.

2. KD8JFO

KD8JFO Ham Member QRZ Page

astron RS-20a, very very very reliable power supply..no RFI

3. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an RS-50A and it has never been turned off since the day I acquired it, no problems with it. IDK how old it is but it was given to me by a local repeater owner who used it to power his system for quite some time.

4. KW7RF

KW7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice pictures. Thanks.
    I don't have to open mine up now. I just got it last week.

5. KC2OCM

KC2OCM Ham Member QRZ Page

i've always preffered Astron power supplies. only after seeing, hearing and actually owning...not one, but two astron power supply. I'm now a born again b'leiver.

P.S. youll see my coffee table shack with my Astrons
    73's good buddy

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  6. KE7VZW

KE7VZW Ham Member QRZ Page

No prob, glad you got some use out of 'em :)

I'm guessing you still had the urge to pop the case anyway ;) If nothing else to check for conductive bits floating around etc......

7. KE7VZW

Great setup! Direct and to the point, I like it.

8. KW7RF

KW7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Astron SS30 mod

I might when/if I'll do this mod
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/ss30-powerpoles.html

Right now I only have one radio connected to it.

9. KE7VZW

I was thinking about doing the same mod so I can run my tuner meter lamp and other doo-dads.....

Looking at the punch-out size makes me wonder if there isn't a power pole made that snaps directly into the spare cutouts ? I'm hesitant to do all of the shimming and zip-tying and such, would prefer a snap-in. Must not be a standard size or anderson would make it.

10. KE8LW

KE8LW Ham Member QRZ Page

Astron has had proven peformance for me and has never cost me anything for repair. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one. It will give you years of trouble free service.
    73's
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.